The plane flew in from Phu Quoc Island off the southern coast and touched down at Tan Son Nhat at 12:24 p.m. when it was raining heavily.
It skidded off the runway and into the grass field on the side.
Functional forces at the airport are dealing with the aftermath.
Vietjet has confirmed the incident, announcing that all passengers are safe and have been brought out of the plane.
There are no damages for the plane or the runway, it said.
The carrier blamed the heavy rains and strong winds for the accident. Several flights to the city in the afternoon had to circle and could not land.
With Storm Nuri forming over the East Sea early on Saturday, heavy rains and strong winds have lashed many places in southern Vietnam, including HCMC, since the afternoon of Saturday, according to the Southern Region Hydrology Meteorology Forecast Station.
Falling tree branches due to heavy rains killed one man and injured at least another in the city on Saturday.
The storm is heading northward toward the southern coast of China.
By Huu Cong @ VNExpress
- Foreign pilots have been seized licenses after landing aircraft skidded off the runway
- Vietnam sees sharp fall in aviation accidents
- Plane cancels landing as dog breaks into airport
- Bamboo Airways plane makes emergency landing in Hanoi after hitting bird
- Plane makes emergency landing at Noi Bai International Airport after allegely bird
- Heavy rain forecast for Saturday night in Ho Chi Minh City
- India: At least 18 dead when COVID-19 evacuation plane crash lands at airport
- Heavy rains forecast as Storm Saudel weakens into tropical depression
- Vietnam suspended 20 Pakistani pilots over fake licenses
- Heavy rains cause damages in Lao Cai Province