US President Joe Biden (Photo: AFP/VNA)
NDO/VNA – Cambodia, as the Chair of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) in 2022, announced that the bloc and the US are set to convene a special summit to celebrate the 45th anniversary of their dialogue relations in Washington D.C., on May 12 and 13.
This is the second special summit since 2016 and the first in-person engagement for ASEAN and US leaders since 2017, Cambodia said in a statement.
ASEAN leaders and President Joe Biden will discuss ways and means to intensify cooperation in various areas, including COVID-19 response and global health security, climate change, sustainable development, maritime cooperation, human capital development, education and people-to-people ties, as well as connectivity and economic engagement.
They will also exchange views on regional and international issues of common interest and concern.
During this historic meeting, the leaders of ASEAN and the US will chart the future direction of ASEAN-US relations and seek to further enhance the strategic partnership for mutual benefits of the people of ASEAN and the US.
The special summit will also reiterate the shared commitment to uphold ASEAN's centrality and unity through the existing ASEAN-led mechanisms, as well as to foster mutual trust and confidence to maintain peace, stability and prosperity in the region.
- US proposes in-person summit with ASEAN in January 2022
- 36th ASEAN summit underscores “cohesive and responsive” spirit
- Women’s empowerment, human resource development to be discussed at ASEAN Summit
- Vietnamese PM to attend special ASEAN-US summit
- Vietnamese PM chairs 36th ASEAN Summit on June 26
- Cambodia to host ASEAN foreign ministers' meeting next week
- ASEAN Summit in Hanoi expected to boost intra-regional economic links
- Vietnam to host 36th ASEAN Summit remotely
- ASEAN Summit adopts Vision Statement on a Cohesive and Responsive ASEAN