Tourists visit the Angkor Wat temple in Siem Reap province, Cambodia. (Photo: AFP/VNA)
NDO/VNA – Although more Omicron variant infections are reported, Cambodia’s tourism sector recovery shows no sign of slowing down, with a sharp rise in the number of tourists during the New Year 2022 celebrations.
Cambodian national news agency AKP cited statistics from the Ministry of Tourism which showed that the tourism industry served over 1.14 million tourists during the holidays from December 31, 2021 to January 1, 2022, including 5,754 foreigners, up 63.65 percent year on year, with Phnom Penh and Siem Reap being the most visited locations in the country.
After the announcement of the end of the “February 20 Community Event”, the capital and various provincial administrations have organized public celebrations, including concerts and gatherings, to celebrate the New Year and attract tourists.
In Phnom Penh, according to the preliminary assessment of the authorities, more than 360,000 people visited main destinations, such as Koh Pich, the riverside in front of the Royal Palace, Chroy Changvar, Victory Monument and the Techo Heritage National Stadium.
- Top 10 tourist attractions not to be missed when visiting Cambodia
- Ho Chi Minh City supports Vientiane, Phnom Penh in COVID-19 control
- Vietnam will not hurry to fully reopen to foreign tourists as concerns rise about the Omicron variant
- Oversea Vietnamese Praise Vaccination Campaign in Cambodia
- Vietnamese in Cambodia severely affected by pandemic
- Vietnam, Cambodia work to restore international tourism
- City donates $100,000 to support Vientiane, Phnom Penh against Covid-19
- Compassionate love inspires overseas Vietnamese in Covid 19 hotspot Phnom Penh
- Scholarships offered to Vietnamese-Cambodian students