A UN working session. (Photo: VNA)
NDO/VNA – Vietnam welcomes the appointment of Staffan de Mistura as the United Nations Secretary-General's Personal Envoy for Western Sahara and Alexander Ivanko as the Secretary-General's Special Representative for Western Sahara and head of the UN Mission for the Referendum on Western Sahara (MINURSO), said Nguyen Phuong Tra, Deputy Permanent Representative of Vietnam to the UN.
Addressing a UN Security Council discussion on the situation in Western Sahara on October 13, Tra called on relevant parties to consider the appointment a new motivation for political process in the area, and show close coordination with the two officials to resume dialogues and end conflicts.
Tra reiterated Vietnam’s principle stance of supporting the settlement of the West Sahara issue through peaceful negotiations among relevant parties in line with international law and related UNSC resolutions.
Vietnam underlines the significance of seeking an equal, long-term and acceptable solution for all parties, ensuring the rights to self-determination of the people of West Sahara, in line with UN Charter’s principles and purposes for peace, cooperation and development in the region.
The West Sahara issue was debated at the UNSC for the first time in 1975 with Resolution 377 asking the UN Secretary General to consult relevant parties on the West Sahara situation. In 1991, the UNSC released Resolution 690 on the plan to organise a referendum so that West Sahara people can decide themselves whether to become independent or merge into the Morocco territory. The MINURSO was also set up that year.
- Vietnam urges settlement of security, humanitarian issues in West Africa, Sahel
- Vietnam urges parties to accept UN-led peace proposal for Yemen
- Vietnam calls for all-level implementation of UNSC’s youth, peace, security resolutions
- Vietnam assumes UNSC Presidency for second time in 2020-2021 tenure
- Vietnam calls on parties in Yemen to accept UN-led peace proposal
- Vietnam Underscores Importance of Humanitarian Aid to Syrian Residents
- Vietnam welcomes efforts to restart Middle East peace process
- Vietnam chairs UNSC briefing on Kosovo
- Vietnam calls for respect for peaceful settlement of international disputes