Deputy Minister of Natural Resources and Environment Tran Quy Kien speaking at the event (Photo: baotainguyenmoitruong.vn)
NDO/VNA – The 21st Annual Senior Officials Meeting on Minerals (ASOMM 21) opened via videoconference on October 6 with the participation of representatives from 10 ASEAN countries and the ASEAN Secretariat.
Participating the event from Hanoi, Deputy Minister of Natural Resources and Environment Tran Quy Kien said that 2021 is an important year when the mid-term review of the implementation of the Master Plans on ASEAN Community Building for the five years 2021-2026 must be conducted, and it is also a pivotal year in Vietnam's tenure as the ASEAN Chair on mineral exploitation.
He underlined Vietnam’s wish to promote sustainable exploitation towards environmental protection and economic, financial and social inclusion based on innovation and application of digital and state-of-the-art technologies; develop high-quality human resources in minerals; and build a green environment.
During the event, which will run until October 8, participants will discuss a wide range of issues, including the implementation of the ASEAN Minerals Cooperation Action Plan (AMCAP), the updates of ASEAN cooperation with the Intergovernmental Forum on Mining, Minerals, Metals and Sustainable Development (IGF), and a report on the progress of the Strengthening ASEAN Cooperation in Mineral (SACM) project.
They are expected to adopt the AMCAP for the 2021-2025 period, yearly priorities of ASEAN mining industry, and preparations for the 14th ASOMM Plus Three and the eighth ASEAN Ministerial Meeting on Minerals (AMMin), among others.
Senior officials of the ASEAN minerals industry will also comment on the outcomes of the first phase of the AMCAP-III and a report of the ASOMM 21 on the completion of the remaining solutions in the first phase of the plan. They will also approve Phase 2 of the AMCAP-III and guidelines on ASEAN cooperation in minerals under the Master Plan for ASEAN Economic Community 2025 in the 2021-2025 period.
- Senior officials for ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community meet online
- ASEAN senior officials discuss possible admission of new partners
- Online meeting talks post-2025 ASEAN Community Vision
- SOM meeting held in preparation for 38th, 39th ASEAN Summits
- ASEAN Political-Security Community Council Meeting in Hanoi
- ASEAN to press on with set priorities despite COVID-19
- 36th ASEAN Summit to be held online on June 26
- 36th ASEAN summit underscores “cohesive and responsive” spirit
- ASEAN Defence Senior Officials’ Meeting Plus Working Group held video conference