Thailand is on track to meet its target of exporting 6 million tonnes of rice this year. (Illustrative image/Photo: AFP/VNA)
NDO/VNA - Thailand is on track to meet its target of exporting 6 million tonnes of rice this year thanks to factors such as higher output, a weaker baht and an anticipated upstick demand.
The Department of Foreign Trade (DFT) under the Ministry of Commerce said that the country's rice exports have recorded positive numbers since June, with the volume in June and July increasing by 7.35% compared to the same period last year.
In addition, based on export license applications to the DFT, Thailand's rice export volume in August and September was 831,260 tonnes and 631,363 tonnes, respectively.
In the January - September period, Thailand exports about 3.7 million tonnes of rice and is forecast to ship abroad more than 700,000 tonnes per month in the last three months of the year. Therefore, the country can expect to achieve its target of exporting 6 million tonnes of rice for the whole of 2021.
According to the DFT, Thailand's rice exports to South Africa, China, Yemen and Iraq have increased, mainly parboiled rice, white rice and brown rice.
To promote rice exports, the DFT will hold conferences with other trading partners such as Indonesia, Bangladesh and China. At the same time, it also accelerates the promotion of Thai rice through various online channels.
- Vietnam exports nearly 3.5 million tonnes of rice in six months
- Rice exports up nearly 18% in H1
- Rice exports up nearly 18 percent in H1
- Vietnam exports 3.9 million tonnes of rice in seven months
- Vietnam hopes to export 100,000 tonnes of rice to EU
- Vietnam exports first rice batch to Europe following EVFTA
- Rice export price lowest in two months
- Viet Nam’s rice export price stands at lowest level over past two months
- Vietnam’s rice export price stands at lowest level over past two months