People wear masks as they exercise during a lockdown to curb the spread of a coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, in Auckland, New Zealand, August 26, 2021. (Photo: Reuters)
New Zealand reported a drop in new COVID-19 infections on Thursday, which authorities said was a sign that a nationwide lockdown was helping to limit spread of the infectious Delta variant.
Barring a few cases in February, New Zealand had been largely free of coronavirus until the Delta outbreak prompted Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern to order the snap lockdown last month.
Authorities reported 49 new infections in the outbreak epicentre of Auckland, a fall from 75 on Wednesday, taking the tally to 736.
"The latest lower number is encouraging and does show that our alert level 4 lockdown is working, even against Delta," the Director General of Health Ashley Bloomfield told a news conference.
Of the 42 people in hospital infected with Delta, six were in intensive care units (ICU) and three on ventilation, he added.
About 2 million people in the largest city of Auckland and the neighbouring Northland region remain in strict level 4 lockdown, but authorities have eased curbs elsewhere.
"Our case numbers are moving around ... that's not unusual," Ardern told the news conference. "The important thing is we are seeing some positive trends."
Northland will drop to alert level 3 from midnight, Ardern said, bringing it in line with the rest of the country.
Ardern's lockdowns and international border closure since March 2020 have been credited with reining in COVID-19, largely freeing up day-to-day activities from curbs.
New Zealand has provisionally approved use of the Pfizer/BioNTech, Johnson & Johnson and AstraZeneca vaccines, but only the Pfizer vaccine has been approved for rollout to the public. More than 3 million doses have been given so far, mostly to people over 50.
- New Zealand’s first community Covid-19 case in six months is the Delta variant
- New Zealand confirms two new cases ending Covid-19 free run
- New Zealand reports first coronavirus case in community since Feb
- Breaking: First Death Linked to Pfizer Coronavirus Vaccine Reported
- Sydney isolated as COVID-19 clusters build; NZ tightens curbs in capital
- Australia daily COVID-19 at 2021 record high with millions in lockdown
- Australia's PM Morrison defends lockdown strategy until majority vaccinated
- New Zealand suspends entry for travellers from India due to high COVID-19 cases
- Sydney braces for extended lockdown amid COVID-19 outbreak