General view of the meeting of the UN Security Council on Iraq situation. (Photo: VNA)
NDO/VNA – Vietnam welcomes efforts of the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI) and international organisations and partners to assist Iraq in organising early elections scheduled for this October, said Ambassador Dang Dinh Quy, head of the Vietnam’s Permanent Mission to the United Nations.
Addressing a meeting of the UN Security Council on August 25 on Iraq situation and activities of the UNAMI, Quy spoke highly of the Iraqi government’s preparations for the upcoming elections.
He expressed his delight at the Iraqi government’s efforts to boost cooperation with regional and global partners, and urged parties concerned to respect Iraq’s sovereignty and territorial integrity, promote its security and stability via collaboration and dialogue.
The Vietnamese side also hailed the UNAMI’s activities over the past time and expressed support for the UN’s mission and agencies in assisting Iraq.
Ambassador Dang Dinh Quy, head of the Vietnam’s Permanent Mission to the United Nations, speaks at the meeting. (Photo: VNA)
On the occasion of the 18th anniversary of World Humanitarian Day, Quy called on the Iraqi government and countries worldwide to attach importance to protecting security and safety of humanitarian relief staff in any circumstance.
Participants at the event wished that the elections would be held in a fair, free and transparent manner, thus meeting public aspirations and contributing to national stability.
They also urged the international community to enhance support for Iraq and back the UNAMI’s efforts.
- IMF says Iraq has requested emergency assistance, talks ongoing
- Vietnam hails recent developments in Somalia
- Vietnam welcomes efforts by UN centre for preventive diplomacy in Central Asia
- UNSC: Vietnam calls for efforts to ensure safety for civilians in Afghanistan
- Vietnam calls for promoting political process in Libya
- Vietnam to play friendly against Iraq ahead of crucial Futsal play-off tie
- Vietnam calls on int’l community to support Somalia
- UN Security Council looks into situation in Lebanon, Sudan
- Iraq seeks exhibition match against Vietnam
- Vietnam backs reconciliation, economic development efforts in Bosnia-Herzegovina