Staff members of Shanghai Pudong International Airport line up at a nucleic acid testing site to test for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Shanghai, China August 20, 2021. Picture taken August 20, 2021.(cnsphoto via Reuters).
China's health authority reported on Monday that there were no new locally transmitted cases of COVID-19 for the first time since July, offering more signs that the current outbreak which began late last month may be tapering off soon.
The latest outbreak was driven mainly by infections first detected among a few airport workers in the eastern city of Nanjing on July 20. Since then, more than 1,200 people in China have been confirmed to be infected.
The outbreak has spurred local authorities across the country to impose tough counter-epidemic measures including mass testing for millions of people to identify and isolate carriers, as well as treat the infected.
No one has died in the current outbreak, which has largely focused on the cities of Nanjing and Yangzhou in the province of Jiangsu, near the financial hub of Shanghai.
Across China, new local cases fell to the single-digits last week, after peaking in early August.
But over the weekend, Shanghai placed hundreds of people under quarantine after infections were found in cargo workers at one of its two airports, sparking concerns of a fresh outbreak in the city.
Shanghai has reported no new local infections since then.
Including new infections detected among travellers arriving in mainland China, the National Health Commission reported on Monday a total of 21 new confirmed cases for Aug. 22, down from 32 a day earlier.
China reported 16 new asymptomatic coronavirus cases, which it does not classify as confirmed infections until they show signs of infection such as a fever. That is down from 19 a day earlier. The new asymptomatic cases were all imported.
Mainland China as of Aug. 22 has recorded 94,652 confirmed cases, with a death toll of 4,636, unchanged since late January.
- Mainland China reports 55 new COVID-19 cases vs 78 a day earlier
- Breaking: China demands mass testing after 137 new coronavirus infections discovered
- How China becomes world’s first country to control major Delta outbreak
- New coronavirus outbreak in China s Kashgar millions tested for nCoV
- China reports 21 new coronavirus cases for Aug 27 vs 32 day ago
- Vietnam reports six new COVID-19 cases, 53 recoveries
- Covid 19 Beijing Reported Its First Case In 6 Months Amid Delta Variant Break
- Two more workers at Tan Son Nhat Airport contract COVID-19
- Chinese mainland reports 55 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases