Illustrative image (Photo: Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand)
NDO/VNA - Japan pledged to increase support for Thailand in promoting carbon neutrality to help the Southeast Asian country rebuild its economy which is being affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement on August 11.
In an online meeting between Japanese Minister of Foreign Affairs Toshimitsu Motegi and his Thai counterpart Don Pramudwinai, Japan confirmed it would provide Bangkok with the necessary technologies to cut carbon dioxide emissions and develop renewable energy.
In the first quarter of 2021, the Thai economy shrank by 2.6% year-on-year. This was the fifth consecutive quarter the country suffered economic contraction.
Earlier this year, the Japanese Government announced the "Asia Energy Transition Initiative ", under which it pledged to provide US$10 billion for ASEAN member states, including Thailand, to promote renewable energy, liquefied natural gas (LNG), energy efficiency as well as other green projects.
The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) welcomed Japan's commitment during a special meeting between the two sides on June 21 to pledge financial support for the member countries' decarbonization efforts.
Japan's "Asia Energy Transition Initiative " will also include "human resource development through various training seminars, research and reports, as well as knowledge-sharing activities".
According to Japanese officials, the initiative is not only aimed at reducing the region's greenhouse gas emissions, but also opens up business opportunities for Japanese companies.
- ASEAN welcomes Japan's US$10 billion support for decarbonisation
- Japan, Vietnam to co-host Mekong – Japan Ministerial Meeting
- Cambodia, Japan to ease travel restrictions in September 2020
- Japanese minister stresses importance of navigation freedom in East Sea
- Flights between Japan and Vietnam to partially resume this week: Japanese FM
- Japan to donate 1 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine to Vietnam
- Japan says to donate another one million doses of Covid-19 vaccine to Vietnam
- Japanese experts, entrepreneurs to arrive in Vietnam soon: Japanese FM
- Japanese foreign minister to visit Latin America, Africa