|Vietnam works towards solutions to revive Mekong River Delta tourism|
|Chinese company proposes to open international tourist port on Mekong River|
|The horn shell in Mekong River Delta|
A part of the Mekong River, about 300 km downstream from the Xayaburi Dam in Laos, facing extreme drought in October 2019. Photo: AFP
According to the Pattaya Mail, Thailand's Department of Water Resources (NWA) confirmed that serious flooding in China has yet to raise the Mekong's water level. Due to continuous heavy rain, the Chinese government has immediately released the water from many lakes and reservoirs. Keeping a close watch on Mekong river’s water in Thailand, the NWA reported that the water level has not been affected by such actions, as flooded areas in China are not related to this river’s upstream.
Under the Mekong - Lancang Cooperation Agreement, China will notify the Mekong River Commission (MRC) member countries before conducting flood discharge from Chianghung Dam into the Mekong River.
As reported by the NWA, the hydrological stations in Chiang Rai and Ubon Ratchathani (Thailand), Luang Prabang and Pakse (Laos) and Chianghung (China) recorded the severely low water level on June 29th.
The major sources of water flowing into the Mekong river are from the melted snow on Tibetan Plateau and rainfall along the basin. Water from Tibet also flows into the Thanlwin River (flowing through China, Myanmar, Thailand) and the Yangtze River in China.
The Mekong River’s part that flows through China is called Lancang, while its downstream flows through Laos, Thailand, Myanmar, Cambodia, and Vietnam.
Regarding the Sanakham hydroelectric dam project in Laos, on July 1, the Mekong River Commission (MRC) announced that they had just completed a six-month pre-consultation process. Accordingly, Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam asked Laos to conduct rigorous research on cross-border impact assessment and strengthen the proposed measures to mitigate impacts from this 1,460 MW dam project.
At the meeting on June 30th, the MRC Joint Committee cleared the plan to apply a joint statement and provide a mechanism and basis for continuing reporting on the progress and operation of Laos’ Sanakham hydroelectric dam project on the Mekong River.
- China ready to share water data with Mekong nations, Thailand says
- China signs pact to share year round water data with Mekong River Commission
- Water lily being harvested in Mekong River Delta
- Facebook joins flood, drought alert efforts on Mekong River
- US criticizes China for Manipulating Mekong River Flow
- How to corroborate Chinese promise on water management?
- Polluted Mekong Delta river kills fish, contaminates water sources
- Water shortage, saline intrusion forecast to be serious this year
- Tourism and cuisine of the eastern Mekong River Delta showcased in Binh Phuoc Province
- Water shortages, climate change linked to saline intrusion in Mekong Delta