“We need about $7 billion in order to deliver enough vaccine to these countries through the end of 2021. The facility has already raised about $6 billion of the $7 billion,” she told an online social media event.
"So the facility has access to over 2 billion doses of vaccine. We will start to deliver those vaccines probably by the end of January, and if not, then certainly by early February and mid-February."
COVAX is jointly led by the WHO, the GAVI vaccine alliance and the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI).
n a call for global immunisation, World Health Organization (WHO) chief, on January 6, said COVID-19 pandemic entered a new phase where “solidarity needed like never before”. Talking about COVAX, Tedros Adhanom said that the initiative had already backed by 190 countries and economies. He demanded quick supply vaccines so that roll-out could begin at the earliest and those at high-risk, could be protected.
COVAX is one of the three pillars of the Access to COVID-19 Tools (ACT) Accelerator that aims at innovative and equitable access to COVID-19 diagnostics, treatment and vaccine. WHO chief, who expressed concerns about vaccine nationalism, had previously asked the international communities to contribute a sum of $4 million in a bid to aid the purchase of vaccines for distribution in lower and middle-income countries through the COVAX vaccine facility. The initiative aims to inoculate and distribute vaccines to underdeveloped and developing nations by early 2021. The WHO Director-General also stressed that if all countries act together, then humankind could beat the virus and prohibit to mutate further. “Morally, economically, socially & for global security, we must act together right now,” he said.
- Vietnam Receives 1,499,940 Pfizer Vaccine Doses from COVAX
- US Donates More 600.000 Vaccine Doses to Vietnam
- WHO, GAVI seek 190 mln COVID-19 vaccine doses by end-June to fill gap
- Vietnam hopes for more international support in accessing COVID-19 vaccines
- Vietnam received second shipment of 1,682,400 COVID-19 vaccine doses from COVAX Facility
- Vietnam seeks to build Covid-19 vaccine plant
- 3 Million Doses Of Moderna Vaccine Donated By US Arrive In Vietnam
- Vietnam received additional three million doses of Moderna vaccine
- 2 Million U.S.-donated Moderna Vaccine Doses Arrive in Hanoi