|Joe Biden will take office on January 20, 2021 if nothing changes. Photo: Reuters|
That was a prediction made by Professor Yan Xuetong, dean of Tsinghua University’s Institute of Modern International Relations in Beijing (China), in a recent interview with Taixin media corporation, according to the SCMP dated December 26.
Yan also said that Biden's policy goal "the same as Trump’s … to prevent China from narrowing the power gap with the United States. Biden will adopt a more sophisticated strategy than Trump, which may cause greater international difficulties for China.
According to Professor Yan, it is important that both the US and China admit to each other as rivals. “If you do not recognise that competition is the core of Sino-US relations and just talk about cooperation, the result will become empty talk, and ultimately no cooperation can be achieved,”
“The nature of the Sino-US relationship has changed,” he said. “If the relationship is not discussed from a competitive perspective, the problems cannot be solved”, said Yan.
|Professor Yan Xuetong, dean of Tsinghua University’s Institute of Modern International Relations in Beijing (China). Photo: weibo|
In addition, Mr. Yan predicted that Biden could also seek to increase political pressure on Beijing over Hong Kong and Xinjiang. "“Intensifying confrontation with China on human rights issues might help him guard against further domestic political divisions in the United States,” Yan commented.
The scholar Yan also said that Mr. Biden would try to strengthen relations with the US's traditional allies and that this could create additional problems for China. “It is much easier to deal with Trump’s unilateralism than with Biden’s multilateralism,”.
“The Trump era is the best time for China to improve strategic relations with America’s allies. If we can’t improve relations under such conditions, it will be even more difficult … when Biden comes to power.” said Yan.
On December 14, the Electoral College voted and officially confirmed that former Vice President Biden won more than 270 votes to be elected. However, President Trump has continued to fight to challenge the results of the 2020 US presidential election. If nothing changes, the US Congress will confirm Biden's victory after counting the electoral votes at joint bicameral meeting on 6.1.2021, and Mr. Biden will take office on January 20.
- China US relations come to a new crossroads as window of hope is opening says Beijing
- Why hasn t China congratulated Joe Biden as President elected
- Trump eyes decoupling US economy from China
- US election: Joe Biden leads over President Trump
- Southeast Asia policy of the USA after the presidential election
- Trump, Biden vie for battleground states, still early to call
- Trump plans to debate Biden next week
- Joe Biden becomes the hottest topic on Chinese social media platforms
- Biden economic policies likely to advance Vietnam, said analysts
- U S in competition with China to win the 21st century Biden says