According to India Meteorological Department (IMD), under the influence of the western disturbance, widespread rain and snow is very likely over Jammu and Kashmir, Ladakh, Gilgit-Baltistan, Muzaffarabad, Himachal Pradesh from December 7 to 9 and scattered rain over Uttarakhand from December 8 to 9.
Heavy rain and snow are also very likely over J&K, Ladakh, Gilgit-Baltistan, Muzaffarabad on December 8, said IMD in its Sunday bulletin. Dense fog is likely over some pockets of east Uttar Pradesh, Odisha, south Assam, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram and Tripura today.
|India Gate obscured from view by haze, at Rajpath in New Delhi.(HT file)|
“We are expecting moderate snowfall in the higher reaches of western Himalayas but some parts may also record heavy snowfall starting Monday. But minimum temperature will not fall significantly immediately because another western disturbance is likely to impact the region around December 12 and 13. There is likely to be clouding associated with the western disturbances which inhibits radiation cooling,” said Kuldeep Shrivastava, head, regional weather forecasting centre. The minimum temperature over Delhi on Sunday was 11.4 degree C, 2 degree C above normal.
According to Hindustan Times, air quality is likely to improve on Monday as north-westerly winds pick up. “Wind direction has changed to north-westerly and wind speed is likely to be around 12 kmph on Monday so we are expecting dispersal of pollutants,” Shrivastava added.
There is likely to be widespread rain and moderate thunderstorm activity over Tamil Nadu, Puducherry and Kerala till Monday due a low-pressure area over Gulf of Mannar which is a remnant of cyclonic storm Burevi. “Rains are likely to continue in the region for 3 to 4 days. There is a chance that a feeble low pressure area forms over Arabian Sea in the next two days and then moves westwards. It may not have much impact on the Indian coast,” said Sunitha Devi, in charge of cyclones at IMD.
According to Skymet Weather, the well-marked low-pressure area over the Gulf of Mannar has weakened to become a low-pressure area. There is a cyclonic circulation over Lakshadweep and Maldives region and adjoining Kerala coast.
Meanwhile, a new weather system has developed near the equator on the Indian Ocean and the South Andaman Sea.
|Photo: Weather Online|
A new Western Disturbance is coming to North India. The system is over northern Afghanistan and adjoining northern Pakistan. Due to this, a cyclonic circulation is seen over Central Pakistan and Northwest Rajasthan.
During the next 24 hours, heavy rains are expected at one or two places with light to moderate rains over coastal Tamil Nadu, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, and Lakshadweep islands.
Light to moderate rains are expected over interior Tamil Nadu, Kerala and south coastal parts of Andhra Pradesh. Light rains may occur over Jammu and Kashmir, Gilgit Baltistan, Muzaffarabad, Ladakh, Himachal Pradesh and South Interior Karnataka.
Snowfall may occur at some places in the upper reaches of the Western Himalayas. Light rains are expected over Assam, Meghalaya and Arunachal Pradesh, with moderate rainfall at one or two places.
- India daily weather forecast latest January 23 Heavy snow covers northwest Jammu while dense fog prevails Delhi NCR Uttar Pradesh
- India daily weather forecast latest January 22 North and Northwest areas to experience wet weather while rain and snowfall expected
- India weather forecast latest November 14 Bearing a gradual increase in minimum temperature in some parts
- India daily weather forecast latest March 30 Wet weather continues over Ladakh Jammu Kashmir Himachal Kerala and Northeast India
- India weather forecast latest December 11 Snowfall to sweep some places with light rain
- India daily weather forecast latest February 21 Scattered to fairly widespread rainfall snowfall with isolated thunderstorms lightning and hail
- India daily weather forecast latest February 3 Ten states and union territories placed under orange alert while more rainfall snow to cover in days
- India daily weather forecast latest February 4 Widespread rain snow with thunderstorms lightning and hail expected in some regions
- India weather forecast latest January 6 Widespread rain accompanied with thunderstorm and lightning over northwest areas