According to the Cambodian embassy, the women from Kandal, Kampong Cham, Banteay Meanchey and Phnom Penh were being transported to China via Vietnam. Four of the women are juveniles.
The embassy stated in a letter obtained by The Post on Thursday (Nov 26) that the women were rescued on Nov 6 and 10 near the Bavet-Moc Bai border gate, 370 km from Hanoi.
Cao Bang provincial authorities sent them by train to Ho Chi Minh City on Nov 25 and they were scheduled to arrive on Nov 27. The Cambodian Consulate General will then escort them to the Bavet-Moc Bai border gate with Cambodia.
The embassy did not clarify their specific destination or how they were duped into leaving Cambodia.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post officers from the Department of Social Affairs in Svay Rieng will be waiting at the border.
Ministry of Interior secretary of state and permanent vice-chair of the National Committee for Counter Trafficking of Cambodia (NCCT) Chou Bun Eng told The Post the victims were deceived into going to China. She said the victims believed in promises of fake marriage certificates and work with high salaries.
“According to a report, 60 Cambodian women on average are tricked into going to China each year. The Cambodian consulate general in China works to get them back to Cambodia, ” she said.
She said her team is working in collaboration with officers from the Secretariat of Anti-Human Trafficking Commission in Svay Rieng Province, The Ministry of Social Affairs, Veterans and Youth Rehabilitation, Health Ministry and Bavet-Moc Bai border officials.
“When they arrive, they will quarantine for 14 days. After quarantine, our team will be able to question them, ” she said.
@ The Phnom Penh Post/Asia News Network
- Eight women caught illegally entering Vietnam from Cambodia
- Cambodia has lifted restrictions on cross-border travel with Vietnam
- Cambodia yet to issue documents banning import of Vietnamese fruits, vegetables: ministry
- Legal documents on VN-Cambodia border demarcation, marker planting take effect
- Interesting things few people know about Moc Bai Tay Ninh border gate
- Land Boundary Demarcation Protocol between Vietnam and Cambodia take effect
- Friendly football tournament held in Cambodia to mark Vietnam’s National Day
- Vietnam imports 1.4 mln tonnes of Cambodian rice paddy
- Vietnam congratulates Cambodian Queen Mother on 85th birthday