Weather in the Valley is likely to improve with light snow and rainfall in isolated places, predicted the India Meteorological Department (IMD).
IMD officials said that it was raining and snowing lightly at most places in J&K, Drass Zojila axis and the sky was overcast in the rest of Ladakh.
“As expected, there’s gradual decrease in rain and snow since morning. We expect a significant improvement in weather in the UTs,” said a senior IMD officer.
|People trudging through snow in Gund area of Ganderbal district on Wednesday. (Waseem Andrabi/ HT)|
He said the weather will most likely remain dry till December 3. “Isolated light rain and snow cannot be ruled out. No significant weather change is expected in the next week.”
The IMD officer said that people, especially those living in snow-bound areas, should remain alert to the possibility of avalanche as there is a lot of snow accumulation on the hills.
Despite snowfall, the traffic on Srinagar-Jammu national highway is plying. The alternate Mughal Road is closed for traffic.
Nivar’s intensity has weakened into a severe cyclonic storm with a wind speed of 110-120kmph. It will further weaken into a cyclonic storm before noon Thursday, Hindustan Times reported.
Puducherry recorded rainfall measuring 237mm between 8.30am Wednesday and 2.30am Thursday. During the same time, Cuddalore recorded 246mm and Chennai 83mm. The Tamil Nadu disaster management authority sounded a flood warning along the Arani river in Tiruvallur district.
The Greater Chennai Corporation said that civic workers were working to clear several uprooted trees and electric poles and inundated localities in the city as well as coastal and delta districts of Tamil Nadu and Puducherry. Officials are awaiting reports on the extent of damage from districts.
According to Skymet Weather, during the next 24 hours, heavy to very heavy rain and thundershower activities will occur over coastal and northern parts of Tamil Nadu and south and coastal parts of Andhra Pradesh. Winds will be very strong around 120 kmph in gust 130 to 140 kmph.
|Photo: Weather Online|
Sea conditions will be rough to very rough along Tamil Nadu and South Andhra Pradesh coast until tomorrow. Light to moderate rain and thunder shower activities with isolated heavy spells main occur over parts of Telangana, north coastal Andhra Pradesh, and South interior Karnataka.
Light to moderate rain and snow with one or two heavy spells are possible over western Himalayas. Light rain over isolated pockets of Punjab, Haryana, Delhi, Rajasthan, and north west Uttar Pradesh.
- India weather forecast latest November 19 Temperature dips as a fresh spell of snow sets to come
- India weather forecast latest November 13 Thunderstorm with lightning to batter some isolated places
- India weather forecast latest December 8 Widespread rain and snow to cover some places
- India weather forecast latest December 11 Snowfall to sweep some places with light rain
- India weather forecast latest December 5 Cyclone Burevi weakens into deep depression heavy rain in isolated places over South coast of Tamil Nadu
- India weather forecast latest December 9 Snowfall to cover Western Himalayan region
- India weather forecast latest November 14 Bearing a gradual increase in minimum temperature in some parts
- India weather forecast latest November 21 Winter arrives early recording temperatures under 10 degree Celsius
- India weather forecast latest December 7 Clear sky returns with the minimum temperature rising over 13 degrees