According to Hindustan Times, cyclone Nivar, which has already intensified into a severe cyclonic storm over the southwest Bay of Bengal, is likely to cross the coasts of Tamil Nadu and Puducherry on Wednesday night. It may further intensify into a “very severe cyclonic storm” with a wind speed of 120 to 130kmph gusting to 145kmph.
|Fishermen pull their boats along the shore before the landfall of Cyclone Nivar, at Kothapatnam in Prakasam district, Tuesday.(PTI File Photo )|
Nivar moved west-northwestwards with a speed of 6kmph in the past six hours and lay centred over southwest Bay of Bengal about 300km east-southeast of Cuddalore, about 310km east southeast of Puducherry and 370km south southeast of Chennai.
The India Meteorological Department (IMD), which had said earlier that cyclone was going to make landfall in the evening, updated the forecast to late Wednesday in its 6am bulletin. Nivar is expected to make landfall between Mamallapuram and Karaikal.
Heavy rain lashes Chennai: Tamil Nadu’s Chennai is witnessing heavy rainfall for the past two days. During to the prevailing weather and Cyclone Nivar set to make landfall tonight, authorities declared a holiday on Wednesday, have banned public gatherings, and closed shops and have mobilised thousands of rescue personnel.
According to Skymet Weather, during the next 24 hours, cyclone Nivar will intensify into the severe cyclone and make the landfall in the shores of Tamil Nadu near Puducherry on the evening/night of November 25.
Heavy to very heavy rainfall is expected over coastal Tamil Nadu and northern Tamil Nadu as well as south interior Karnataka, Rayalaseema and south coastal parts of Andhra Pradesh.
|Photo: Weather Online|
Light to moderate rains and snowfall may also occur from Jammu and Kashmir to Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand.
Light rains are expected over parts of Punjab and Haryana as well as northwest Uttar Pradesh. Minimum temperatures may increase in the plains and mountainous states of northwest India.
- India weather forecast latest December 1 Another storm sets to hit Tamil Nadu and Kerala
- India weather forecast latest, December 4: Red alerts issued for 4 districts of Kerala due to Cyclone Burevi
- India weather forecast latest December 3 Heavy rainfall by Cyclone Burevi brewing over southwest Bay of Bengal
- India weather forecast latest December 5 Cyclone Burevi weakens into deep depression heavy rain in isolated places over South coast of Tamil Nadu
- India weather forecast latest December 2 A new storm to bring heavy rainfall to south Tamil Nadu and south Kerala
- India weather forecast latest November 27 Light snow and rainfall in isolated places in Valley
- India weather forecast latest November 24 Western disturbance briefly causes a slight increase in temperatures
- India weather forecast latest November 17 Scattered light to moderate rains set to cover interior of some areas
- India weather forecast latest December 17 Heavy rainfall to cover some isolated places
- India weather forecast latest December 12 Rainfall to cover at some places in Kerala southern interior Karnataka and Tamil Nadu