Mass testing began Saturday evening to cover 475 million residents in and around Kashgar, Xinjiang province, after a 17-year-old garment factory worker tested positive for the virus.
Related: Mainland China reports first local COVID-19 infections in nearly two months
China — where the coronavirus first emerged late last year — has largely brought domestic transmission under control through lockdowns, travel restrictions and testing, but sporadic regional outbreaks have emerged.
Beijing has lauded its rapid testing capabilities, with the Communist Party eager to project an image of victory over the virus as much of the world struggles with lockdowns and mass outbreaks.
The new cases – all asymptomatic – were linked to a factory in Shufu county where the girl and her parents worked, the Xinjiang health commission told a press briefing Sunday.
Also read: Europe is gripped by a second wave of the coronavirus pandemic
A special team from Beijing’s National Health Commission was sent to investigate the source of the outbreak and assist with preventive measures, state broadcaster CCTV reported.
As of Sunday afternoon more than 2.8 million samples had been collected in the area and the rest would be completed within two days, the city government said in a statement.
All schools in Kashgar have been closed until October 30 and anyone leaving the city needs to show a negative nucleic acid test, the city government said.
State broadcaster CCTV showed footage of hundreds of people lining up to take nucleic acid tests outside hospitals and mobile testing centres set up across the city.
Urumqi, the capital of Xinjiang, was kept under strict lockdown for weeks after more than 900 cases were reported in mid-July.
After 13 cases were detected earlier this month in the eastern port city of Qingdao, officials tested nearly 11 million residents within a week.
- New coronavirus outbreak in China s Kashgar millions tested for nCoV
- China locks down a city of 11 million people to contain a coronavirus flare-up after a year of Wuhan
- Breaking: Thailand records more than 800 new coronavirus cases amid mass testing drive
- China locks down a city of 11 millions to fight COVID outbreak
- Covid-19: Vietnam reports 5,595 new cases, China China locks 30,000 visitors inside Disneyland after a customer tested positive for the virus
- China: over 500,000 people in lockdown as coronavirus cases rise again in Beijing
- China reports no new local COVID-19 cases for first time since July
- Covid 19 Beijing Reported Its First Case In 6 Months Amid Delta Variant Break
- China tests 10 million people after 13 COVID 19 cases are found