Vietnam mulls resuming int’l flights from December, including routes to Japan, Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh said Thursday.
Chinh and his Japanese counterpart Fumio Kishida had assigned relevant agencies to study the resumption of direct flights between both countries, Vietnam’s government news portal reported, citing the Vietnamese Prime Minister as he wrapped up his four-day visit to Japan.
Related: Here’s the plan for resuming regular international flights of Vietnam
Earlier, the Ministry of Transport had sought government approval to resume flights in January to 15 countries and territories that have high Covid-19 vaccination rates, including Japan.
With an increasing vaccination rate, Vietnam reopened its door to foreign tourists this month, allowing in fully vaccinated travelers on package tours.
Japan was the third largest market source for Vietnamese tourism, after China and South Korea. In 2019, the year before the onset of Covid-19, Vietnam had received 952,000 Japanese tourists, a year-on-year rise of 15 percent.
Also read: Vietnam’s Phu Quoc island welcomed the first international tourists
Japan had 1.72 million foreign workers in October 2020, according to government data. Vietnamese account for the largest foreign worker population in Japan at around 440,000 people, or nearly 26 percent.
Vietnam closed its doors to foreign tourists and grounded international flights in March last year, allowing only Vietnamese repatriates, foreign experts, investors and highly-skilled workers to enter, VNExpress’s Hoang Phong reported.
- Vietnam getting ready to resume international flights
- Vietnam To Resume International Flights In January
- Commercial flights to South Korea, Japan from Vietnam will be resumed very soon
- Aviation agency wants resumption of commercial services to Japan, South Korea this month
- Vietnam considers resuming international flights to safe destinations
- Vietnam considers resuming international flights to Asian destinations
- Vietnam considers resuming flights to some Asian destinations
- Vietnam considers resuming flights to Asian destinations
- Prime minister Phuc allows resumption of Vietnam – China flights