Khanh Hoa’s vice chairman proposed the government allow visa exemption for foreigners visiting Vietnam during the vaccine passport trial to stimulate international tourism.
The central province, home to popular beach towns Nha Trang and Cam Ranh, is one of five localities allowed to welcome back foreign tourists from this month, along with Da Nang, Kien Giang, Quang Nam and Quang Ninh.
Its vice chairman Le Huu Hoang said European and Russian tourists often want to travel longer and could stay in Vietnam for up to 20 days.
Related: It’s official! Vietnam welcomes first group of international tourists in nearly two years
After completing their seven-day tour package in Khanh Hoa, they would want to visit other destinations allowed to receive foreign tourists, he told a meeting with the Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Sports on Monday, as cited by Voice of Vietnam.
He said it is necessary to offer relaxed visa procedures to create the most favorable conditions for foreign tourists to Vietnam.
Over 9,000 foreign tourists from South Korea, Japan, Russia, the Philippines and Cambodia are expected to visit Khanh Hoa under the vaccine passport trial by the end of this year.
On Nov. 11, Khanh Hoa welcomed two flights from South Korea and Japan carrying 429 passengers.
Kien Giang and Quang Nam received their first groups of foreign tourists after nearly two years last week.
Also read: Vietnam’s Phu Quoc island welcomed the first international tourists
Vietnam closed its doors to foreigners and grounded international flights in March 2020, and has since allowed entry to only Vietnamese repatriates, foreign experts and highly-skilled workers.
Before the pandemic, the country offered visa waivers to visitors from only 24 countries and territories including ASEAN co-members. Since the pandemic broke out last year, Vietnam suspended visa-free entry for many countries.
- Tens of thousands of foreign visitors have booked tours to Vietnam
- Vaccinated tourists from this country would be the first to be allowed back into Vietnam
- Vietnam’s Hoi An to welcome over 400 American tourists in the next few days
- Travel firms in Vietnam propose to bring Russian tourists back to Nha Trang
- Vietnam’s Hoi An opens to foreign tourists from next month
- It’s official! Vietnam welcomes first group of international tourists in nearly two years
- 30 day visa exemption for foreigner visitors to Vietnam s Phu Quoc Island
- Travel agency plans to bring 5,000 foreign tourists to Phu Quoc Island, starting this weekend
- It’s official: Vietnam opens the country to foreign tourists from November 20