Hoi An ancient town in central Vietnam has been named the winner of Asia’s leading cultural city destination category at 2021 World Travel Awards.
Hoi An surpassed competitors Beijing, Delhi, Kyoto, Seoul and Hue to claim the title.
More stories at Vietnam Insider’s homepage
The result was based on votes cast by travel industry professionals and the public, with the nominee gaining the most votes in a category named as the winner.
Hoi An served as a busy international port from the 16th to 19th centuries, as merchant ships from many different countries passed by here. It has managed to preserve its tranquility and slow pace of life to become one of the most famous tourist hotspots in Vietnam.
Hoi An was recognized as a UNESCO world cultural heritage site in 1998.
World Travel Awards was first launched in 1993 to acknowledge excellence in the travel and tourism industry.
It has been heralded the “travel industry’s equivalent of the Oscars” by The Wall Street Journal.
- Vietnam wins three prizes at 2020 World Travel Awards
- Vietnam tourism wins many titles in World Travel Awards 2020
- World Travel Awards 2020 names Việt Nam the winner in various categories
- Ha Long Bay to be one of 12 nominees for Asia’s leading tourist attraction
- Vietnam wins many categories of World Travel Awards 2020
- Vietnam receives ‘Asia’s Leading Destination award
- Vietnam beats 8 eight countries to be Asia’s Leading Destination
- Vietnam nominated for many categories in World Travel Awards 2021
- Ho Chi Minh City has been nominated as ‘Asia’s Best MICE Destination 2021’ by World MICE Awards.