The HCMC Department of Transport is working with its counterpart in Binh Duong to launch the service between Bach Dang Wharf in District 1 and Thu Dau Mot Town, the capital of Binh Duong. From there it will go on to the Cu Chi Tunnels, the war memorial and historical site, which is around 70 kilometers (43 miles) northwest of HCMC.
It will take 120 minutes for a trip, around the same time it takes by road.
Tran Song Hai, director of DP Green Technology Company, the boat operator, said the service is aimed at boosting river tourism but also reduce the severe congestion on the road.
There will be two trips either way daily, with boats leaving Bach Dang at 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m., going through Thanh Da Peninsula, stopping to pick up passengers at Binh Hoa Wharf in Binh Thanh District, and reaching Thu Dau Mot.
From Tiamo Wharf in Thu Dau Mot, the boat will go to Ben Dinh Wharf in Cu Chi, home to the famous underground tunnels, an enduring symbol of Vietnamese resistance and bravery during the Vietnam War.
New express boat to link HCMC with Binh Duong
Going underground: A glimpse at life during the Vietnam War with a tour around Cu Chi Tunnels
The boat will leave Cu Chi at 2:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m.
The vessels will be equipped with wi-fi and electrical outlets, and water and snacks will be served free of charge.
Tickets for the full trip one way will cost VND220,000 ($9.4). Tickets from HCMC and Binh Duong, a southern manufacturing hub, will cost VND120,000 ($5) and between Binh Duong and Cu Chi, VND150,000 ($6.4).
Foreign tourists climb into the underground network during a tour to Saigon's Cu Chi Tunnels, 2018. Photo by AFP.
Earlier HCMC's transport department said a new ferry service would connect the city's coastal district of Can Gio with popular resort town Vung Tau from September 2.
It is expected to reduce travel time between Can Gio, a palm-fringed island district around 25 kilometers southeast of HCMC, and Vung Tau to 30 minutes. Tickets will cost VND220,000 ($9.4) one way.
- New express boat to link HCMC with neighboring province
- New express boat service linking HCMC and Binh Duong Province launched
- HCMC-Binh Duong express boat service frequency cut over Covid-19 concerns
- Ho Chi Minh City launches first waterway tourism route
- Ho Chi Minh City to launch three new waterway routes
- Ca Mau launches first express boat service to Nam Du, Phu Quoc
- Tourist boat service in Can Tho struggles with post-pandemic difficulties
- New HCMC-Vung Tau ferry service enters operation
- New HCMC-Vung Tau ferry service to be launched next month