It is a part of the country’s plan to trial the use of vaccine passports that allow foreigners to travel to certain destinations that have managed the novel coronavirus pandemic well.
The country plans to receive people coming from countries that have managed Covid-19 outbreaks well, including those that have achieved herd immunity thanks to their vaccination programs.
Vietnam has decided to shorten centralized quarantine time for fully vaccinated entrants from 21 days to seven, as the country plans to initiate a vaccine passport program.
Officials made the announcement at a meeting Friday between the National Steering Committee for Covid-19 Prevention and Control and the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism.
Related: The first city of Vietnam to welcome vaccinated international visitors
It’s still not clear when the new quarantine period will be applied and if it will be limited to a number of destinations in Vietnam. But it is part of the country’s plan to trial the use of vaccine passports that allow foreigners to travel to certain destinations that have managed the novel coronavirus pandemic well.
Previously, on Tuesday, the tourism ministry and Kien Giang authorities had been requested to prepare a plan to receive foreigners to Phu Quoc Island in the southern province and submit it to Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh next month.
Also read: Here’s what you need to know before getting vaccinated
The National Steering Committee for Covid-19 Prevention and Control had already decided in April that three groups of entrants: vaccinated Vietnamese citizens stranded overseas; foreigners wishing to enter Vietnam for investment and business purposes; and international tourists would be eligible to use vaccine passports.The vaccine passport is currently envisaged as a digital document issued by the country where the vaccine has been administered.
Vietnam plans to receive people coming from countries that have managed Covid-19 outbreaks well, including those that have achieved herd immunity thanks to their vaccination programs. Such people will be able to visit tourist sites and resorts designated for their ability to control the flow of tourist traffic well and be able to manage guests’ itineraries efficiently and safely.
Vietnam closed its borders and canceled all international flights in March last year. Only Vietnamese repatriates, foreign experts, diplomats, investors, and highly-skilled workers have been allowed in since with stringent quarantine requirements, according to VNExpress.
- Vaccinated tourists with a vaccine passport will be able to enter Vietnam: Officials
- Vietnam adds 96 more domestic Covid-19 cases. Quarantine period for vaccinated entrants could be shortened
- Quarantine period for vaccinated people arriving from abroad to be shortened
- Vietnam to offer vaccine passport entry for three groups of people
- The first city of Vietnam to welcome vaccinated international visitors
- Three groups with vaccine passport expected to allow entering Vietnam
- Here’s what you need to know about Vietnam’s new proposal for vaccine passport holders
- Will vaccinated passengers undergo 14-day quarantine when arriving Vietnam?
- Vietnam prepares to pilot vaccine passports