Many Singaporean investors have also been eyeing the Vietnamese market in recent years while around 12,000 Vietnamese citizens live in Singapore.
Vietnam and Singapore on Monday agreed to work toward recognizing each other’s vaccine certificates to soon resume commercial flights.
At a meeting in Hanoi on Monday Foreign Minister Bui Thanh Son and his Singaporean counterpart, Vivian Balakrishnan, agreed to speed up the establishment of a working group for mutual vaccine certificate recognition so that their two countries could soon resume air travel to revive the economy.
Related: Hanoi reopens barber shops and restaurants from tomorrow
Many Singaporean investors have also been eyeing the Vietnamese market in recent years while around 12,000 Vietnamese citizens live in Singapore, VNExpress reported.
Vietnam closed its borders and canceled all international flights in March last year, and allows in only certain categories of visitors with Covid-19 quarantine requirements. It recently increased the quarantine period to 21 days as it battled a more widespread outbreak triggered by new strains of the coronavirus.
Since last month visitors from Vietnam to Singapore have had to stay at home for 21 days at dedicated facilities and undergo a polymerase chain reaction test on arrival, 14 days later and before the end of the 21-day period as part of tougher pandemic prevention measures, according to VNExpress.
As of June 22, 2021, Vietnam’s confirmed a total of 13,483 cases of COVID-19. However, 5,453 of the affected patients have recovered and been discharged from hospitals. The country has also recorded 69 deaths due to the pandemic. The latest community transmission cases have been reported from Ho Chi Minh City, Bac Giang, Nghe An, and Gia Lai.
Hanoi authorities allowed indoor dining, drinking venues, and barbershops to reopen from June 22 after almost a month of closures. However, business establishments will have to abide by several restrictions such as 50 percent capacity and no more than 20 customers at a venue at a time.
- Vietnam to resume commercial flights to Thailand
- Vietnam proposes to resume commercial flights to Japan South Korea this September
- Aviation businesses seek resumption of international flights
- Vietnamese, Singaporean young entrepreneurs enhance cooperation
- Vietnam will resume international flights from mid-September
- Da Nang’s tourism targets Singaporean market after pandemic
- Vietnam visitors negative with coronavirus can travel freely within Singapore
- It’s official: Vietnam resumes international commercial flights, tickets now available
- Plan to resume international flights postponed
- Singapore to lift travel restrictions for arrivals from Vietnam