|The gondoliers are back in action as tourists flock back to Venice. (Photo: AFP/Andrea Pattaro)|
The lagoon city is already welcoming visitors back to its splendours as Italy relaxes the restrictions that halted the flow of visitors.
On Saturday, a long queue of tourists built up outside St. Mark’s cathedral, one of the most famous monuments in the city
Staff checked people’s temperatures as they entered.
On Friday, the famed Cafe Florian reopened after more than three months
Boss Marco Paolini said he hoped the reopening will be a big success and that the worst is now in the past.
Venice has been one of the world’s most popular destinations, attracting more than one million visitors from China alone last year.
But visitor numbers are still just a fraction of what they would be at this time of year.
- Top 10 most popular tourist spots in Venice
- French film on illegal abortion wins top prize at Venice festival
- The documentary "VENICE AND DUNHUANG - Above Desert and Sea" released at the end of the year on CCTV Documentary Channel
- Young people excitedly “show off” check-in photos at “miniature Venice” of Vietnam
- Over 58,000 visitors flock to Da Lat on New Year
- Philippines welcomes back foreign tourists for first time in two years
- Tourists flock again to Quang Ninh after social distancing rules lifted
- HCM City aims for 33 million tourists in 2021
- Tourists come back to Hue after storm Sonca