Binh Dinh in central Vietnam is famous as the cradle of traditional Vietnamese martial arts. Between the 10th-16th century, this used to be Vijaya (victory), the grand capital of the Champa Kingdom. The Cham Towers stand as testimony to a glorious past.
Students practice with a spear and a sword with Duong Long Towers casting shadows in bright sunshine.
A master watches his students practice with sticks in the yeard of one of the Banh It towers. Banh It is located in Phuoc Hiep Commune, Tuy Phuoc District, on a hill between two branches of the Con River.
The main Banh It Tower seen from the entrance of another tower to its east..
A female martial artist uses a spear to counterattack an opponent leaping at her in between two Banh It towers.
Since ancient times, Binh Dinh’s rugged landscape has exuded an air of mystery and allure that has attracted people from all over the country.
Inside one of the Banh It Towers the teacher demonstrates a technique which is likened to the lifting of clouds and using the moonlight to counter an attack by a golden dragon flying down to the ground.
Traditional martial arts is said to be part of a Binh Dinh resident’s DNA. Young and old, men and women imbibe its cultural values, and it has a place in everyone’s heart.
The Cham vestiges are scattered across the central region, including eight clusters with a total of 14 unique and mysterious towers in Binh Dinh. These eight tower clusters - Banh It, Duong Long, Thap Doi, Canh Tien, PhuLOc, Thu Thien, Binh Lam and Hon Chuong – stand in different locations.
A view of Banh It Tower under the night sky.
- Discovering the most beautiful sets of Cham towers
- Vietnam tourism: Mysterious Po Klong Garai Cham Tower
- A glimpse of the wild and peaceful Quy Nhon
- Central province restores landscape and forest of Mỹ Sơn Sanctuary
- The unique architecture of Ponagar tower
- FLC Grand Hotel Quy Nhon comes into operation
- Central city gets two more National Treasures
- Chăm traditions live on at annual festival
- Drone shots raise Binh Dinh beauty to new heights
- Discover beautiful coastline road and pristine beaches from Vung Tau to Binh Dinh