Exclusive adventure tours taking visitors into Son Doong cave, the largest cave in the world located in Quang Binh province, are fully booked for the entirety of the year ahead.
Son Doong Cave is among the world’s nine greatest adventures
According to Nguyen Chau A, director of Tourist Company Oxalis Adventure Tours, 1,000 visitors have signed up to participate in tours throughout the year, with only five registering for tours in August before the rainy season starts in QuangBinh province and trips are unable to run.
With Son Doong cave renowned for its difficult obstacles and challenges, tours are not a pleasure trip or vacation but consist of an exploration trip that requires guests to display determination along with physical and mental abilities, stressed Chau A.
Each year the province permits a maximum of 1,000 visitors to enter Son Doong cave, with each tour consisting of a maximum of 10 visitors who explore 30km over the course of four days and three nights.
Son Doong is more than five km long, 200 metres high, and 150 metres wide. The site became known worldwide in 2009 when it was explored by members of the British Cave Research Association led by Howard Limbert and his wife Deb Limbert. The couple’s trip was guided by local resident Ho Khanh, the man who initially discovered the cave back in 1991.
Previously, the Huffington Post of the United States had described Son Doong Cave as one of earth’s standout destinations, while Dave, a television channel in the UK, has listed the cave among the world’s nine greatest adventures.
- Tours to Son Doong world s largest cave in Vietnam fully booked this year
- Vietnam reopens exclusive tours to world’s largest cave complex
- Son Doong Cave is among 20 record-breaking natural wonders
- British cave experts invited to design cave tours in Thai Nguyen
- Vietnam’s Son Doong cave listed among the most surreal places in the world to visit before you die
- Son Doong among 20 record-breaking natural wonders
- Son Doong Cave a ‘record-breaking natural wonder’
- British cave experts invited to design cave tours in Thai Nguyen province
- Quang Binh suspends world-renowned cave tours due to pandemic
- Son Doong Cave, a wonder that breaks the natural record