Vietnam will consider resuming flights with some countries but safety amid COVID-19 pandemic is the top priority, said a Foreign Ministry spokesman, vnexpress reported.
|The resumption of commercial flights is widely seen as the optimal solution in a bid to stimulate tourism demand amid the current context (Photo: VTC)|
"Vietnam's point of view is to consider resuming routes and travel with some countries, but it must ensure the compliance with pandemic prevention measures in specific conditions, which shall not spread coronavirus," Foreign Ministry spokeswoman, Mrs. Le Thi Thu Hang said in a press conference on July 2.
The statement was announced by Mrs. Hang in responding a question about information of the European Union (EU) calling for Vietnam to restore international routes in the context of the Vietnam - EU Free Trade Agreement (EVFTA) shall come into effect from next month.
|Aircraft are sterilised after every flight. Photo: vir.com.vn|
The spokesperson affirmed that in the coming time, Vietnam will create favorable conditions for a number of groups to enter such as Vietnamese citizens, foreigners who are experts, investors, business managers and skilled workers, those enter for diplomatic and public service purposes, and other special cases.
"People desiring to enter Vietnam still have to strictly comply with the conditions of medical quarantine and carry out isolation in accordance with the regulations on prevention of epidemics," Mrs. Hang added.
|Foreigners carry out medical examinations at Tan Son Nhat airport before entering Vietnam on March 18. Photo: Huu Khoa.|
On June 10, Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc announced the direction that Vietnam would consider opening some international routes when COVID-19 was controlled. Countries and territories on the list were expected to include China, Korea, Japan, Laos and Taiwan.
On June 30, the EU announced the list of 15 countries allowed to fly to this block for entertainment or business purposes from July 1, but it didn't name Vietnam. "Reciprocity" is one of the criteria for the EU to allow citizens to enter. It means that the country allowed to fly to the EU must also be open to host EU's citizens.
- Vietnam getting ready to resume international flights
- Vietnamese at odds on resuming international flights
- No consensus in Vietnam on resuming international flights
- Vietnam to soon resume international travel post COVID-19
- Cautious approach needed in international flight resumption amid COVID-19: experts
- Vietnam unlikely to resume int’l air travel from July
- Transport ministry considers reopening of international flight routes
- Vietnam’s transport ministry proposes resumption of 6 international air routes
- Taiwan on Vietnam’s list of priority destinations for resumption of international flights