|Vietnam is considering its international tourism market after the novel coronavirus is under control in the country|
The PM assigned the National Steering Committee on COVID-19 Prevention and Control to examine and make public the list of safe destinations, but said the resumption of international flights should be considered carefully.
It is impossible for us to completely close the aviation market but we cannot reopen the market when we are yet to determine the safety level of countries, he told permanent members of the Cabinet in Hanoi on June 9.
Vietnam has closed its door for foreign travelers after the novel coronavirus epidemic broke out several months ago.
In a letter recently sent to the Prime Minister, the National Tourism Advisory Board has proposed solutions for recovering the international tourism market. The board suggested Vietnam should have a set of procedures for reopening the market, including reaching bilateral agreements with individual countries.
According to the board, Vietnam should resume non-stop flights for the time being, consider charter flights, and apply the visa waiver programme to travelers. Upon landing in Vietnam, foreign travelers are required to make health declarations, have body temperature checked, and have a tracking app.
The board recommended Vietnam should first start negotiations with key markets, especially those in Asia including the Republic of Korea, Japan, Australia and New Zealand.
Vietnam should have a communication campaign to promote it as a safe destination post COVID-19, tourism experts said.
Indeed, Vietnam has brought the COVID-19 epidemic under control with no new locally transmitted infections during the past 55 days in a row. The country has only detected 332 cases of which more than 95% have fully recovered. No deaths have been reported.
Forbes has recently announced a list of the world’s leading 100 safest countries in terms of guarding against the novel coronavirus, with Vietnam being placed in 20th overall.
- Vietnam considers resuming international flights to safe destinations
- Vietnam considers resuming international flights to Asian destinations
- Tokyo, Taiwan, Cambodia and more among safe destinations for Vietnam to resume international flights
- Vietnam considers resuming flights to some Asian destinations
- Vietnam considers resuming flights to Asian destinations
- Taiwan on Vietnam’s list of priority destinations for resumption of international flights
- Aviation businesses seek resumption of international flights
- Preparing to reopen door to foreign tourists
- Vietnam unlikely to resume int’l air travel from July