The number up 9% over the previous month and down 99.1% over the same period last year
The foreign arrivals were mainly experts and technical workers
Visit Vietnam Insider’s homepage for more stories
The number of international visitors to Vietnam in January has been estimated at 17,736, up 9% over the previous month and down 99.1% over the same period last year due to the implementation of COVID-19 prevention and control measures.
This was officially announced by the General Statistics Office on January 29.
The foreign arrivals were mainly experts and technical workers working on projects in Vietnam and drivers transporting goods at border gates, the People Newspaper reported.
International travellers by air reached 11,118, a year-on-year increase of 99.3%; meanwhile, arrivals by sea were 43 (down 99.9%) and by road 6,575 (down 97.8%).
Visitors from Asia reached 15,822, accounting for 89.2% of total foreign tourists to the country, hailing mainly from China, the Republic of Korea (RoK), Taiwan (China) and Japan.
The number of arrivals from Europe, the Americas, Oceania and Africa were estimated at 1,185 (down 99.5%), 486 (down 99.6%), 121 (down 99.8%) and 122 (down 98%), respectively.
Estimated revenue from accommodation and catering services was approximately VND48.7 trillion (over US$2.1 billion) in January, up 2.7% over the previous month.
Meanwhile, revenue from travel services was estimated to have increased by 0.7% compared to the previous month, to VND1.6 trillion (over US$69.4 million), according to the People Newspaper.
Vietnam suspended commercial international flights in late March last year to contain the spread of the novel coronavirus.
The country is not considering a resumption of international commercial flights with the Covid-19 situation remaining intense globally and vaccine distribution uncertain.
Resumption of tourism activities would only occur when deemed safe. However, the country still allows a limited number of flights for experts, businesspeople, workers and overseas Vietnamese, who are all quarantined by up to 14 days upon arrival.
Foreign arrivals in 2020 fell nearly 79 percent to 3.84 million, according to the General Statistics Office.
- International visitors to Vietnam increased by 9% in January
- Vietnam serves 880,000 international tourist arrivals in June 2020
- Vietnam serves 8,800 international tourist arrivals in June 2020
- Vietnam’s foreign arrivals down 99.3 percent y-o-y in June
- How Vietnam welcomed 8,800 arrivals of foreign visitors in June 2020?
- Foreign arrivals to Vietnam plunge 61.6% in first seven months
- Vietnam welcomes fewest foreign arrivals in years
- Vietnam welcomed nearly 3 8 million international tourists
- Vietnam greets 3.8 million foreign tourists in eight months