The authorities in HCM City's District 3 have planned to pedestrianise the Turtle Lake area which will open from 7 pm to 11 pm during the weekends.
The central area will be Turtle Lake, the event and entertainment venue on Pham Ngoc Thach Street, exhibition venue on Vo Van Tan Street and the food stall section on Tran Cao Van Street.
According to District 3 People's Committee, travel demand through the Turtle Lake area is not high. When the area is pedestrianised during the weekends, drivers can use other streets like Nguyen Dinh Chieu, Pasteur, Nguyen Thi Minh Khai and Hai Ba Trung.
The Ministry of Construction is cleaning the Turtle Lake, repairing the flower beds and lighting system. The pavements will be repaired with new granite stone to improve the scenery. District 3 authorities will also place more trees and flowers and seating. The lighting system will be able to change colours and the benches and stalls will be made from environmentally-friendly materials.
District 3 authorities also asked the city authorities to invest in the new pedestrianised area into two phases. In the first phase, they will focus on repairing the lake before Tet and ensure order and safety for the pedestrians during Tet. In the second phase, they will fully renovate the area. The funding will come from the state budget and the private sector.
HCM City has pedestrianised Nguyen Hue and Bui Vien streets. The 670m Nguyen Hue Street was pedestrianised in 2015 and become the first pedestrianised area in Vietnam during the weekends. The 400m Bui Vien Street was pedestrianised two years later. It is often frequented by foreign visitors.
The area around Quang Trung Statue was also recently pedestrianised in District 10. Dtinews
- Descendants of Hoan Kiem turtle discovered in Hanoi
- Hanoi plans to open another pedestrian street
- Experts prepare to captively-breed world’s rarest turtle
- World’s most endangered turtle found in Vietnam
- New hopes for the conservation of the world's rarest turtle in Vietnam
- Violations at Nhon-Hanoi Station metro line project announced
- Purple mop was in full bloom by Hoan Kiem Lake
- Hoan Kiem Lake paths to get facelift
- The lake looks like a miniature Dalat in the middle of Quang Ninh
- Bus turns turtle in central Vietnam, 8 die, dozens injured