When you think of the local specialties, we immediately think of mì Quang (Quang Nam noodles), Hoi An banh mì (sandwich) or even com ga (chicken rice). This dish made with boiled chicken in sauce accompanied by Vietnamese aromatic herbs is one of the most popular specialty but whose exquisite flavors contribute to the culinary notoriety of Faifo. In the past, you could only enjoy this dish in Hoi An, but now you can easily cook it at home. Here is the recipe:
- 1 yellow free-range chicken
- 400 grams of rice
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1 C. teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 cup of chopped rau ram (fragrant persicaria or Vietnamese cilantro)
- Chopped coriander
- ½ tsp. of sodium glutamate
- 200 ml of ice water
- ½ green papaya
- 1 carrot
- Salt, vinegar, sugar
- Chili sauce
- Vegetable oil
- Fish brine (nuoc mam)
- Wash and dry the papaya and carrot. Peel and grate them.
- Mix the vinegar, salt and sugar (according to taste).
- Put the papaya and carrot in
a bowl, pour in the vinegar mixture.
- Clean the chicken. Sprinkle with a teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of ground turmeric. Let sit for 20 minutes.
- Place the chicken in a pot filled with water. Boil over medium heat until the meat is cooked through.
- Let the chicken cool. Peel it by hand or cut it with a knife.
- In a pot or a rice pressure cooker, mix the chicken broth with 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder. Cook the rice.
- Dissolve the salt, a teaspoon of ground black pepper with about 50 ml of chicken broth for the marinade.
- Mince the onion into very thin slices. In a bowl, pour 200 ml of ice water, soak the onion slices for 15 minutes to reduce the heat.
- Combine the chicken pieces, chopped onion, fragrant persicaria and chopped cilantro in a bowl. Let marinate for 15 minutes.
- Place the chicken, rice and side dishes on a plate.
- In a frying pan, brown the chopped chives in vegetable oil, pour 150 ml of chicken broth, add the nuoc mam, a little sugar and the sodium glutamate. Cook over medium heat until the sauce is thickened. Remove from heat, stir everything. Add the chilli and pepper to taste.
Enjoy hot with the sauce and fresh chilli!
Directed by Thu Ha /CVN
- Shrimp fritters
- Rice with sautéed shrimps and black pepper sauce
- Bánh mì with grilled pork
- The pho gà, the chicken noodle soup
- Bamboo vermicelli and shoot soup
- Chả cá, an essential specialty of Hanoi
- Squid wok with vegetables
- Phu Yen-style chicken rice
- Vermicelli in freshwater crab and snail broth
- Vermicelli in crab and freshwater snail broth