According to a sector study of 11 Asia-Pacific markets conducted by GSMA Intelligence, Vietnam recorded the largest increase in scores between 2016 and 2019.
Its latest score was 49 points in 2019 up 12 points from three years earlier, which GSMA Intelligence attributed to the notable improvements in the connectivity component of the index following the launch and expansion. fast 4G networks.
It was also driven by improvements to the digital identity, digital citizenship and digital lifestyle components, the report added.
GSMA Intelligence noted that Vietnam is pursuing a national Industry 4.0 strategy that includes infrastructure and human resources, as well as e-government and innovation.
However, there are still challenges to be overcome in order to make progress, in particular in the digital trade area and with regard to policies to support innovative start-ups, the report added.
5G mobile technology is expected to account for 5% of wireless connections in Vietnam by 2025 well below the Asia-Pacific average of 23%.
Vietnam only ranked eighth among the 11 markets studied. The rankings were dominated by four "advanced" economies, with the Republic of Korea leading the way with 78 points, ahead of Singapore, Australia and Japan.
The report ranks Vietnam, India, Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia as "transition" countries, while Pakistan and Bangladesh are "emerging".
He said the gap remains large. This underlines the need for countries in the emerging category to do more to accelerate progress.
The study was based on contributions from government and industry organizations in the markets of Australia, Bangladesh, India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Pakistan, Singapore, Republic of Korea, Thailand and Vietnam. - VNA
- Singaporean newspaper calls Vietnam a leading Asia Pacific country in digital progress pace
- Vietnam leads Asia-Pacific region in digital transformation
- Vietnam shows significant progress among Asia-Pacific digital societies: report
- Vietnam ranks 55th in digital transformation
- Launch of Ho Chi Minh City's Digital Transformation Creation and Experiences Space
- National digital transformation program
- HCM City announces digital transformation programme
- Digital transformation helps businesses develop after COVID-19
- Vietnam Digital Transformation Day to take place in late May in Hanoi