GIC and TPG will invest US$752 million and US$250 million in Reliance Retail for a 122% and a 041% stake in the company, respectively, said the report.
The latest investment gives Reliance Retail a pre-money valuation north of US$58.4 billion. It comes after the retail arm announced that it would be receiving
from Silver Lake and
from private equity firm KKR last month.
Founded in 2006 Reliance Retail owns nearly 12000 physical stores in over 6500 cities and towns in India. The company, which serves more than 3.5 million customers each week, takes up around 97% of all retail sales in India, according to
It also launched ecommerce platform JioMart, a joint venture with Jio Platforms – the digital arm of Reliance Industries. Since April this year, Jio Platforms raised over
from investors including Facebook, Google, and Qualcomm, among others.
- Reliance Industries’ retail unit bags $749m from ADIA
- Amazon invests another $152M in its Indian unit
- Amazon sends legal notice to Future Group for selling stake to Reliance Industries
- Amazon Pay India bags $96m from its parent entities
- Flipkart’s Myntra nets $103m infusion from parent firm
- A peek inside Vietnam’s edtech industry