Nhan Dan Online - Samsung Vietnam will build a research and development (R&D) center on an area of 11603 m2 to the west of West Lake in Hanoi.
With funding of $ 220 million in Vietnam, the construction of this center will be completed by the end of 2022. The building will have 16 floors above ground and three other undergrounds and will eventually be able to accommodate between 2200 and 3000 employees who will work not only in product development but also in artificial intelligence, the Internet of Things, big data and 5G technology.
It is the first R&D center installed by Samsung Electronics outside the Republic of Korea and the company’s largest R&D center in Southeast Asia.
Choi Joo-Ho, General Manager of Samsung Vietnam announced, “This is a strategic milestone in Samsung’s history in Vietnam. This center will be the place where we will fulfill our commitments to contribute to the development of science and technology in Vietnam through research activities and training of high quality human resources ".
Samsung's total investment in Vietnam so far amounts to $ 17 billion, of which Samsung Electronics represents $ 9.5 million. In 2008 Samsung Electronics chose Bac Ninh province to set up its first smartphone manufacturing plant in Vietnam. Subsequently, the second factory was built in Thai Nguyen province. In Ho Chi Minh City, the company has a television manufacturing complex.
The idea of building an R&D center in Hanoi was discussed during two working sessions between Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc and the vice president of the Samsung group in 2018 in Hanoi and in 2019 in Seoul.
- Samsung will start construction of the largest part of Southeast Asia’s largest R&D center in October
- Vietnam PM tells Samsung to set up chip plant
- ‘Samsung Prince’ visits Vietnam, plans to build a battery factory for electric cars
- Samsung denies moving part of Việt Nam smartphone production to India
- Samsung plans to shift Chinese PC production to Vietnam: Nikkei
- Samsung Vietnam to receive further support, PM said
- Samsung executive to visit Vietnam for investment expansion plans
- Samsung heir to seek business opportunities in 3-day Vietnam trip
- Samsung heir to visit Vietnam this week to discuss possible investment plans