The 31st SEA Games will feature 40 sports covering 526 events (Photo: Vietnam+)
NDO – Vietnam is stepping up preparations for the 31st Southeast Asian Games (SEA Games), which is set to take place in Hanoi and 11 neighbouring localities, from May 12 to 23 this year.
According to Deputy General Director in charge of the General Department of Sports and Physical Training Tran Duc Phan, the tournament’s Organising Committee has set a target, that all the preparations for the 31st SEA Games will be completed and put into trial operations by April 2022.
Despite the complicated developments of COVID-19, final preparations for the 31st SEA Games are being accelerated, he said, reporting that the progress and quality of the work is still on track according to schedule.
Since January 2022, the organising board has focused on realising important tasks related to health requirements and infrastructure.
Approximately 1.7 trillion VND has been allocated from the State budget, for the preparations of the tournament, with 600 billion being spent to improve infrastructure.
Under a recent decision signed by Deputy Prime Minister Le Minh Khai, an additional 301 billion VND (13.17 million USD) sourced from the 2021 State budget for sport and training, has been approved for regular expenditure tasks needed for the preparation of the tournament.
Of the sum, 283 billion VND is earmarked for the Ministry of Culture, Sports, and Tourism; and 18 billion VND for the Ministry of Public Security.
The 31st SEA Games will feature 40 sports covering 526 events and attract around 10,000 participants.
At the 30th SEA Games in 2019, the Vietnam sports delegation finished second in the overall medal tally, with 98 golds, 85 silvers and 105 bronzes, behind hosts the Philippines.
- Vietnam to start countdown to 31st SEA Games in November
- Vietnam proposes postponing 31st SEA Games as Covid-19 bites
- My Dinh Stadium upgrade for 31st SEA Games
- Saola becomes official mascot of 2021 SEA Games and ASEAN Para Games
- Rare mammal named as mascot for 31st SEA Games
- Hanoi works to ensure best preparations for SEA Games 31 and ASEAN Para Games 11
- SEA Games 31 to take place in May 2022
- National Olympic Committee designs plan for 2021
- Vietnamese swimmers to train in Hungary for SEA Games, ASIAD