Within only three months, Vietnamese powerlifter Le Van Cong has earned two silver medals at international competitions, the Paralympic Games and the World Championships.
NDO – Vietnam’s top powerlifter Le Van Cong pocketed a silver medal at the ongoing 2021 World Para Powerlifting Championships in Tbilisi, Georgia on November 28, which is his second international-level medal in just three months.
> First medal for Vietnam at Tokyo Paralympics as powerlifter Le Van Cong takes silver
37-year-old Cong competed in the men’s under-49kg category which featured 26 medal contenders, including reigning Paralympic champion Omar Qarada (Jordan).
The Vietnamese lifter was successful with his first two lifts, 165kg and 170kg, but failed to conquer the weight of 173kg on his third attempt, thus settling for second place overall. Meanwhile, Qarada pocketed the gold medal with a best lift of 174kg.
Previously, in late August, Cong also lost the top honour to the Jordanian at the Tokyo Paralympic Games. He lifted the same weight as Qarada (173kg) but the latter took gold due to his lower body weight than the Vietnamese competitor.
Despite missing out on the top result, the world silver medal is considered an impressive achievement for Le Van Cong as he has struggled with injuries and had few chances to compete internationally over the past two years.
The freshly won silver helps to further polish Cong’s sparkling medal collection, which comprises of one gold and one silver at the Paralympics; one gold and two silver at the world championships; one silver at the Asian Para Games; and two gold at the ASEAN Para Games.
The world championships are taking place from November 27 to December 5 with the participation of 72 countries and territories. Vietnam is being represented by a six-member contingent, including four athletes, with the aim to secure tickets to the 2024 Paris Paralympic Games.
Today, two other Vietnamese powerlifters Dang Thi Linh Phuong and Nguyen Binh An will commence their competition in the tournament.
- Vietnamese Weightlifter Wins Silver at Tokyo 2020 Paralympics
- Paralympics: Para powerlifting day one preview
- Daily wrap-up: China top Paralympic medal table with seventh gold
- Vietnamese athletes with disabilities to compete in three sports at Tokyo Paralympics
- Paralympics: Para powerlifting day two preview
- Vietnamese athlete pockets gold medal at Jiu-Jitsu World Championships
- Day 2: Paralympic Games preview
- Paralympics daily wrap-up: USA reclaim 3rd place on the medal table
- Paralympics: Wheelchair racer Tomoki Sato wins Japans first gold medal in athletics
- USA win Tokyo 2020's overall medal tally