Japan scored a single goal against hosts Vietnam Thursday, marking the latter’s fifth defeat in the final World Cup qualification round.
As it is the fifth consecutive defeat of the team, Vietnam have yet to collect any points and stand at the bottom of Group B.
The only goal of the match was scored by Ito Junya in the 17th minute.
Ito doubled Japan’s lead just minutes to the interval, but the goal was ruled out for offside after a thorough video assistant referee (VAR) check.
With this victory, Japan moved to the third spot in Group B with nine points, narrowing their gap with Saudi Arabia and Australia.
Vietnam are to host first-placed Saudi Arabia on November 16.
This is the first time that Vietnam has played in the final qualifying round. They are in the same group with Japan, Australia, Saudi Arabia, China and Oman, Vietnam News Agency reported.
- Vietnam vs Saudi Arabi World Cup 2022 Vietnam Suffered 1 3 Loss Against Saudi Arabi
- Vietnam squander one-goal lead, lose 1-3 to Saudi Arabia
- Vietnam drawn against Japan in final round of World Cup Qualifiers
- Vietnam scored a 4-0 victory against Indonesia at the World Cup Asian qualifiers
- Which team is in the same group with Vietnam in the WorldCup 3rd qualifying round?
- Vietnam lose to China in five-goal thriller
- Vietnam beaten 1-3 by Oman in World Cup qualifiers
- Vietnamese team will play five matches home in the World Cup qualifiers amid Covid-19 pandemic
- World Cup Final Qualifying Round What Are The Chances For Vietnam