Members of the Vietnamese tennis team pose for a group photo (Photo: VNA)
NDO/VNA - The Vietnamese tennis team left for Jordan on September 12 to compete at the 2021 Davis Cup Group III events in Asia/Oceania, according to the Vietnam Tennis Federation (VTF).
The four-member team is projected to arrive in Jordan in the afternoon (local time), after 10 hours of flying.
They have not competed much in international matches for nearly two years due to the spread of COVID-19, head coach Truong Quang Vu said.
The Davis Cup Group III events in Asia/Oceania will take place on September 14-18. Vietnam are the event’s No.2 seed based on current rankings.
The team, world’s No. 71, will face eight rivals of Hong Kong (China), Syria, Sri Lanka, Kuwait, Qatar, Jordan, Pacific Oceania and Malaysia.
A draw for the tourney will be held on September 14. At the end of the event, at least three teams will earn a place in World Group II playoffs while those who finish in the bottom three will be relegated.
Vietnam triumphed at the Asia/Oceania Group III in 2019. They missed out on a place in World Group II after falling 4-0 to Morocco in the play-offs in 2020.
- Vietnamese U23 team named as eighth best in Asia by football website
- Vietnam to play friendly with Jordan as part of preparations for World Cup qualifiers
- Linh wins US tennis tournament
- Which team is in the same group with Vietnam in the WorldCup 3rd qualifying round?
- Vietnam football team to begin training in September
- Vietnam to play Jordan ahead of World Cup qualifiers
- VN U19 team to compete in AFC U19 champs in Uzbekistan
- Vietnam vie for Women’s World Cup 2023 place
- National tennis championship gets under way in HCM City