Players of Team United States react after they defeated Team Brazil during the Women's Volleyball Gold Medal Match on day sixteen of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games at Ariake Arena in Tokyo, Japan on August 8, 2021. (Photo: Getty Images)
NDO – A spectacular breakthrough on the last day of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games helped the US bag three last gold medals and surpass China to finish at the top of the medal tally.
With a total of 113 medals of all kinds, including 39 gold, 41 silver and 33 bronze medals, Team USA take the top position at the Games for the third time in a row.
Meanwhile, the Chinese sports delegation had an unsatisfactory final day as they could not win any more gold medals, instead the silver of Li Qian in the women's boxing middleweight 75kg.
China finish the Games in the second place, with 38 gold, 32 silver and 18 bronze medals.
Host Japan achieved impressive results in the 3rd place, with 27 gold, 14 silver medals and 17 bronze medals after 16 days of official competition.
- Looking ahead to Day 5 at Olympic Games Tokyo 2020
- Looking ahead to Day 7 at Olympic Games Tokyo 2020
- Looking ahead to Day 16 at Olympic Games Tokyo 2020
- Olympics: Japan beat Team USA for historic first baseball gold
- Olympics: Vietnamese athletes return home on August 4
- Looking ahead to Day 13 at Olympic Games Tokyo 2020
- Olympics: Italy wins men's 4x100m gold medal
- Olympics: ROK archer An San secures historic third gold in Tokyo
- Andy Cruz lands Cuba's fourth boxing Olympic title