The draw results for the final round of the 2022 FIFA World Cup Asian Qualifiers. (Photo: AFC)
NDO – Vietnam were placed in the same group as Asia’s top-ranked Japan as the draw for the final round of the Asian Qualifiers for the 2022 FIFA World cup was held virtually in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on July 1 afternoon.
> World Cup qualifiers: Vietnam scores best fair-play points among Southeast Asian teams
> Vietnam set new points record for Southeast Asia at World Cup qualifiers
> Vietnam at World Cup qualifiers – A memorable journey
Based on the special FIFA Ranking released for Asian teams on June 18, top seeds Japan and the Islamic Republic of Iran took their places in Pot 1, with Pot 2 comprising Australia and Korea Republic, while Pot 3 included Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
Pot 4 contained Iraq and China, followed by Oman and Syria in Pot 5 and debutants Vietnam and Lebanon completing the line-up in Pot 6.
According to the draw results, coach Park Hang-seo’s Vietnamese side will be joined by powerhouse Japan, Australia, Saudi Arabia, China and Oman in Group B.
Group A features the remaining six teams, including the continent’s second-ranked IR Iran, Korea Republic, the UAE, Iraq, Syria and Lebanon.
Vietnam will be joined by powerhouse Japan, Australia, Saudi Arabia, China and Oman in Group B. (Screenshot)
The final round of the Asian Qualifiers will begin in September and end in March 2022, with the 12 teams playing home-and-away round-robin matches in their groups.
The top two teams of each group will directly qualify for the 2022 FIFA World Cup, and the two third-placed teams will advance to the Asian playoff to determine the side that will advance to the international playoff.
The AFC Asian Qualifiers – Road to Qatar is scheduled to be played on the following 10 match days: September 2 and 7, October 7 and 12, and November 11 and 16, 2021, as well as January 27 and February 1, 2022, before reaching its climax on March 24 and 29, 2022.
- Draw for 2022 FIFA World Cup's third qualifiers slated for July 1
- Vietnam placed in No. 6 seed group for draw of World Cup's third qualifiers
- Vietnam to advance in FIFA world rankings
- Vietnam set new points record for Southeast Asia at World Cup qualifiers
- Vietnam Football Federation announces national team’s schedule in FIFA World Cup qualifiers
- Vietnam suspends national team call-up as World Cup Asian qualifiers delayed again
- Vietnam scored a 4-0 victory against Indonesia at the World Cup Asian qualifiers
- World Cup qualifiers postponed until next year
- Vietnam to play friendly with Jordan as part of preparations for World Cup qualifiers