The Vietnamese team are expected to claim the 90th spot in the new FIFA World Ranking after defeating Indonesia and Malaysia in World Cup Asian qualifiers. (Photo: VNA)
NDO – After two wins against Indonesia and Malaysia in the second round of the 2022 FIFA World Cup Asian qualifiers, the Vietnamese team are expected to collect 13.4 points on the FIFA World Ranking, thereby climbing two places to occupy the 90th position in the world with 1,271 points.
> FIFA rankings: Vietnam retain lead in Southeast Asia as world no. 92
> World Cup qualifiers: Que Ngoc Hai converts last-gasp penalty to give Vietnam 2-1 win against Malaysia
Specifically, Vietnam are projected to collect 6.18 points after the 4-0 victory over Indonesia and accumulated 7.28 points when they beat Malaysia 2-1 early this morning.
If coach Park Hang-seo’s side continue to gain positive results against the UAE in the last Group G match of the Asian qualifiers, the Golden Stars will most likely continue to be promoted on the world rankings.
Currently, Vietnam have collected 17 points after seven matches, firmly at the top of the table with a ticket to play in the 3rd qualifying round almost certainly in their hands.
Separating second-placed team UAE in the group by two points, Vietnam only need a draw against the hosts in the June 15 match to book their place in the last round of the World Cup qualifiers for the first time ever.
The projected rankings for Vietnam and other teams in the new FIFA World Ranking.
Meanwhile, other Southeast Asian teams are projected to fall in the world rankings. After two disappointing matches (draw with Indonesia and losing to UAE), Thailand are likely to be deducted 13.7 points, falling to 113th place in the world with 1,164 points.
With two consecutive defeats, Malaysia are to lose 15 points, falling to 158th place in the world, while Indonesia to be eliminated seven points, dropping two places to 175th in the world. Other regional teams are Philippines no. 127, Myanmar no. 143, Singapore no. 161, Cambodia no. 179, Laos no. 187 and Timor Leste no. 195.
Vietnam are currently ranked 92nd in the latest FIFA World Ranking announced on May 27, with the next ranking will be published on August 12.
The ASEAN Champions remain the highest-ranked in Southeast Asia and are now ranked 13th in Asia.
- World Cup qualifiers: Que Ngoc Hai converts last-gasp penalty to give Vietnam 2-1 win against Malaysia
- Vietnam suspends national team call-up as World Cup Asian qualifiers delayed again
- National team ends year in FIFA top 100
- Vietnam Football Federation announces national team’s schedule in FIFA World Cup qualifiers
- Vietnam to play friendly with Jordan as part of preparations for World Cup qualifiers
- World Cup qualifiers postponed until next year
- Vietnam ranks 93rd in FIFA rankings
- Vietnam scored a 4-0 victory against Indonesia at the World Cup Asian qualifiers
- National men’s football team posts highest FIFA ranking in 20 years