Soccer Football - Champions League - Quarter Final Second Leg - Paris St Germain v Bayern Munich - Parc des Princes, Paris, France - April 13, 2021 Bayern Munich's Kingsley Coman in action with Paris St Germain's Idrissa Gueye. (Photo: Reuters)
Paris St Germain reached the Champions League semi-finals despite a 1-0 home defeat by holders Bayern Munich on Tuesday (Apr 13) as they progressed on away goals after a 3-3 aggregate result in a thriller that was on a knife edge until the final whistle.
Bayern striker Eric Choupo-Moting scored the only goal before the interval but it was not enough to overturn the German side’s 3-2 loss in last week’s first leg.
* Chelsea hung on to reach the Champions League semi-finals with a 2-1 aggregate win despite Mehdi Taremi's stunning overhead kick in added time handing Porto a 1-0 victory in the quarter-final second leg on Tuesday. They will meet either Liverpool or Real Madrid in the last four, with the Spaniards holding a 3-1 lead ahead of Wednesday's second leg.
* Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane has said his side will not seek to just cling on to their 3-1 lead when they visit Liverpool in Wednesday's Champions League quarter-final second leg despite recently admitting his players are exhausted.
* New Zealand skipper Kane Williamson was the recipient of the Sir Richard Hadlee medal as player of the year for the fourth time in six years at the country's 2020-21 cricket awards on Tuesday. Williamson, the number one test batsman, also bagged the International Test Player of the Year award as he led from the front with New Zealand winning 17 of 20 matches across all formats played over their summer, winning all seven series.
* Chelsea midfielder Mateo Kovacic will miss Saturday's FA Cup semi-final against Manchester City at Wembley due to a hamstring injury, manager Thomas Tuchel said. Kovacic missed Tuesday's 1-0 Champions League quarter-final second leg defeat by Porto.
* Chinese company Sinovac Biotech is to donate 50,000 doses of its COVID-19 vaccine to the South American Football Confederation to inoculate players, the president of the soccer body said on Tuesday.
* Italy's government will allow fans to attend matches at this year's European Championship in Rome's Olympic Stadium with at least 25% capacity, the country's soccer federation said in a statement on Tuesday.
* Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has urged his players to execute their plans on the pitch rather than worry about different scoreline permutations for their Champions League quarter-final second leg against Borussia Dortmund on Wednesday. City will take a 2-1 lead to Dortmund, knowing the German side could seal progress with a 1-0 win on Wednesday on the away goals rule.
* Liverpool can mount another memorable Champions League comeback at Anfield when they take on a depleted Real Madrid in the quarter-final, second leg but they cannot afford any more defensive errors, manager Juergen Klopp said on Tuesday. Down 3-1 from the first leg, Klopp's side find themselves in a near-impossible situation in the knockouts again and will seek inspiration from their 2019 semi-final comeback against Barcelona when they 4-0 to advance with a 4-3 aggregate score.
* Formula One will shift practice and qualifying for this weekend's second race of the season at Imola in Italy to avoid having cars on track during the funeral of Britain's Prince Philip. The sport and governing FIA said on Tuesday that qualifying for the Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix will move forward to 1200-1300 GMT (1400-1500 local) as a mark of respect for the royal who died last Friday aged 99.
* Wang Shuang's brace earned China a place in the women's football tournament at the Olympic Games as Jia Xiuquan's side drew 2-2 with the Republic of Korea in Suzhou on Tuesday to secure a 4-3 aggregate win. The result means China join Australia as one of Asia's two qualifiers for the 12-team women's tournament at the Olympic Games.
* Spain and Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos faced a new setback in a season littered with injury problems when his club said on Tuesday he had tested positive for COVID-19. Ramos has been nursing a calf injury since Apr 1 which led him to miss his side's 3-1 win over Liverpool in their Champions League quarter-final first leg and Saturday's 2-1 victory over rivals Barcelona in La Liga.
* The mixed doubles event will be back at the French Open after it was cancelled last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, though it will return with a slimmed down draw, organisers said on Tuesday. The French Open, which has been pushed back by a week from its scheduled start, will be held from May 30-June 13.
- What time Champions League quarter-final and semi-final kick off?
- Bayern Munich beat PSG to win Champions League
- Tale of two cities: ‘Sensational’ for Bayern fans, sadness and tear gas in Paris
- Bayern defeat PSG to become European champions for sixth time
- Messi’s toughest task as Barcelona face up to Bayern Munich
- 2020 UEFA Super Cup: All things you need to know about the clash of Sevilla and Bayern
- Lyon upset Man City to set up semi with Bayern
- Flick’s 10-month path from interim Bayern coach to Champions League final
- ‘It’s our turn again’: Treble-chasing Bayern eye Champions League glory