FILE PHOTO: Football - Liverpool v Sunderland - Barclays Premier League - Anfield - 08/09 - 3/3/09 Rick Parry - Liverpool Chief Executive. (Reuters)
The English Football League (EFL) said on Monday (Mar 29) it has secured a 117.5 million pounds (US$161.73 million) loan from MetLife Investment Management to help Championship clubs who have lost income from gate receipts due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The loan was agreed with MetLife after a bidding process and the EFL said the size of the loan matched the amount requested by Championship clubs.
* Argentina striker Sergio Aguero will leave Manchester City when his contract runs out this July, newspaper the Manchester Evening News reported on Monday (Mar 29). Aguero joined City from Atletico Madrid in 2011 and has scored 257 goals in 384 games since, making him their record goal-scorer.
* The European Club Association (ECA) is excited by the prospect of a women's Club World Cup being set up "fairly soon" and sees the tournament as part of its strategy to help develop women's football, chief executive Charlie Marshall said.
* Wales have released Hal Robson-Kanu, Rabbi Matondo and Tyler Roberts from the national squad ahead of their World Cup qualifier against the Czech Republic for breaching team protocol, the country's FA said on Monday (Mar 29).
* Gareth Bale admits his international career could be drawing to a close, with the current World Cup qualifying campaign possibly his last in a Wales shirt. Wales play the Czech Republic in Cardiff on Tuesday seeking their first points in Group E after an opening defeat to Belgium.
* One of this year's FA Cup semi-finals at Wembley in April will be used as a test event for the safe return of spectators to stadiums, although it will not feature fans from either side. An FA source told Reuters one of the matches will have an attendance capped at around 4,000 with the crowd being made up of local residents and care and support workers.
* AS Roma defender Marash Kumbulla faces up to four weeks out with a knee injury, the Serie A club confirmed to Reuters on Monday. The 21-year-old sustained a right knee sprain and a small tear to his meniscus while on international duty with Albania and will be out of action for three to four weeks.
* Top-ranked defending champion Ashleigh Barty advanced to the quarter-finals of the Miami Open on Monday (Mar 29) by outlasting former world number one Victoria Azarenka 6-1, 1-6, 6-2. Australia's Barty broke five times, the last when Azarenka netted a forehand volley to end matters after one hour and 52 minutes at Hard Rock Stadium.
* Italy head coach Roberto Mancini says he would support the introduction of larger squad limits for the rescheduled European Championship due to the risk of players contracting COVID-19. National team managers are expected to name 23 players for the competition, but Mancini believes a change to the rules would be sensible as the virus continues to spread across the continent.
- Man City look to Lisbon as best shot for Champions League glory
- Manchester City land Bournemouth’s Ake for 40 million pounds
- Liverpool win Premier League title with seven games to spare
- Manchester City sign winger Ferran Torres from Valencia
- Burnley stun Liverpool to end unbeaten home record
- Late goal flurry earns Tottenham Cup win at Wycombe
- National women’s football championship to kick off
- Sài Gòn sign young striker Nguyên Hoàng of PVF
- Vietnamese star defender leaves Dutch club for V.League 1 side as loan ends
- Liverpool celebrate long-awaited title in front of empty Kop