TÂY NINH — Vietnamese No 1 tennis player Lý Hoang Nam of Hải Đăng Club proved his talent at the VTF Masters 500 – Hải Đăng Cup which concluded in the southern province of Tay Ninh on Sunday.
In the men’s single final, Nam defeated Nguyễn Đắc Tiến of Ha Noi 2-0 (6-4, 6-2) to take the title.
In the semi-finals, Tiến made history by defeating veteran Phạm Minh Tuấn of HCM City – Hưng Thịnh for the first time. So reaching the final match against Nam, Tiến was filled with excitement. He and Nam made fans jump for joy at their performance. However, with the higher level and stability, the victory went to Nam.
Earlier, Nam and Nguyễn Văn Phương of Hải Đăng Club triumphed in the men’s doubles category. While Nguyễn Thị Be Xuyen and Sĩ Boi Ngọc of the Military team won the women’s doubles.
In the women’s singles event, Đao Minh Trang of HCM City bested Nguyễn Thị Mai Hương of Hải Dương 2-0 (6-4, 7-6) to take the title.
This National Tennis Championship was the first tennis tournament held since COVID-19 social distancing. It attracted more than 74 athletes from nine teams including powerhouses of HCM City, Military and Becamex Bình Dương taking part.
The tournament was a qualifier for the national team selection to prepare for the 31st Southeast Asian Games in Ha Noi next year. — VNS
- Trang wins national table tennis champs
- National tennis championship gets under way in HCM City
- Olympics: Tennis day 9- Men's singles gold-medal match headlines final day of play
- Looking ahead to Day 7 at Olympic Games Tokyo 2020
- National table tennis champs reaches thrilling finale
- Nhan Dan Newspaper table tennis tourney wraps up
- Preserving Bạch Đằng relic site
- Olympics: Alexander Zverev wins gold in men's singles tennis
- Djokovic triumphs at Wimbledon to secure record-equalling 20th major
- Looking ahead to Day 9 at Tokyo 2020