HÀ NỘI — The Vietnamese national team will end the year of 2020 at 93rd place in the FIFA rankings, 18 spots higher than Thailand.
This ranking also helped Viet Nam enter the top 15 Asian teams and is the best ranking for the country in 20 years.
Viet Nam lead Southeast Asia, followed by Thailand, world No 111.
Thailand have a total of 1,178 points, while Viet Nam have 1,258 points. This gap will be difficult to level until March 2021 when the second qualifying round matches for the 2022 World Cup take place.
In Asia, Japan dominated the region with 1,502 points, followed by Iran (1,496 points), South Korea (1,465 points), Australia (1,457 points) and Qatar (1,391 points).
Belgium won six out of eight matches played this year and maintained the overall lead with 1,780 points, finishing on top for the third consecutive year.
Ranking behind Belgium are France (1,755 points), Brazil (1,743 points) and England (1,670 points)
At present, the Vietnamese national team are training at the Viet Nam Youth Football Training Centre in Ha Noi to prepare for the World Cup qualifiers.
Currently, Viet Nam lead Group G with 11 points after five matches, two ahead of Malaysia in second. If Viet Nam stay on the top of the group or are one of the five best second-placed teams, they will enter the final qualifying round for the first time in history.
Defender Quế Ngọc Hải is the captain of the team and is confident they can get over the line.
“I think the spirit and desire of the team are the most important thing. We have a big advantage for the remaining three games. The whole team will work together closely and determine to play well, especially the upcoming match against Malaysia on the away field,” said Hải. VNS
- Vietnam ranks 93rd in FIFA rankings
- National men’s football team posts highest FIFA ranking in 20 years
- Vietnam to advance in FIFA world rankings
- Vietnamese women's football team end 2021 in 32nd place of FIFA world rankings
- Vietnam Football Federation announces national team’s schedule in FIFA World Cup qualifiers
- Vietnam suspends national team call-up as World Cup Asian qualifiers delayed again
- Việt Nam women’s team retain 35th place in FIFA rankings
- Vietnam moves up one spot on FIFA Women’s World Rankings
- Vietnamese U23 team named as eighth best in Asia by football website