HÀ NỘI — Saigon Heat took the title of the Viet Nam Basketball Association (VBA) 2020 on Tuesday after beating Thăng Long Warriors three games to one in the finals.
The Heat defeated the Warriors 73-54 in the fourth game on Tuesday night.
Võ Kim Bản was named MVP of Tuesday night’s game after finishing with 31 points, including eight three-pointers. He was the only domestic player to be named MVP of a finals game this season.
In the three previous games, MVP honours went to overseas Vietnamese star Christian Juzang and foreign players Robert Crawford and Joshua Keyes.
Bản is one of the young talents of Vietnamese basketball. He is only 20 years old but has played in many big tournaments and played a key role in the Heat’s back to back titles.
“In my opinion, Bản is a fearless player. Certainly, he will make fast progress to dedicate himself to Vietnamese basketball,” said Phan Thanh Cảnh, coach of Đa Nẵng Dragons.
At the 30th Southeast Asian Games last year, Bản won the bronze medal alongside the Vietnamese national team.
Meanwhile, Keyes of the Heat won the MVP award for the season. In game four, Keyes contributed 13 points and 22 rebounds.
The HCM City-based Heat dominated form wire to wire this season, racking up the most wins in the regular season and cruising to the title with only one playoff loss to the Warriors after sweeping the Cần ThơCatfish in the first round.
The Heat are the only team to successfully defend a championship in the history of the VBA.
Last year the Heat won the title by beating Cần Thơ Catfish in the finals. — VNS
- Saigon Heat crowned as regular season champion, go to playoff
- Foreign dribblers to benefit from Vietnam pro basketball league revamp
- 2020 basketball season postponed again
- VBA season postponed again
- Pro hoops league set to bring back ‘bubble’ tournaments in HCMC, Hanoi
- Microsoft, NBA team up to put virtual fans in basketball arenas
- ABL on verge of shutdown
- Vietnam Professional Basketball League’s 2021 Tip-Off Cup scrapped due to COVID-19
- Lakers remembers late Bryant with ‘Black Mamba’ uniforms
- Bucks hold off Magic for NBA series lead, Heat close out Pacers