HCM CITY— Thai Sơn Nam defeated defending champions Savinest Sanatech Khanh Hoa 5-4 on penalties in the finals on Thursday night to win the HDBank National futsal Championship.
In a match played in Đak Lak Province, Khanh Hòa began confidently and controlled the first half, playing deep from their own half.
They made good use of set pieces to score twice through Đình Hung and Khắc Chí within 10 minutes of the start.
But Thai Sơn Nam fought back with three goals by Anh Duy, Minh Trí and Thịnh Phat.
In the dying minutes of the first half, Văn Quý of Thai Sơn Nam handled the ball in the penalty area and was sent off. Veteran Trọng Luan duly converted from the penalty spot to equalise for Khanh Hòa.
The first half ended 3-3.
Thai Sơn Nam began the second half by attacking relentlessly, but Khanh Hòa defended well and absorbed all the pressure.
There were no more goals, and the teams went into a penalty shoot-out to decide the title winner.
Trọng Luan of Khanh Hòa missed the last kick to hand Thai Sơn Nam the match and title.
The winning team also received a VNĐ200 million (US$8,600) cash prize.
Khổng Đình Hung of Savinest Sanatech Khanh Hòa was named player of the tournament, Hồ Văn Ý of Thai Sơn Nam was the best goalkeeper and Lưu Đong Dương of Cao Bằng FC was the top scorer. VNS
- Closing ceremony marks end of National Futsal HDBank Championship 2020
- After football, Vietnam futsal returns to action
- Futsal HDbank National Championship 2020 opens
- With Spanish league suspended, Vietnamese futsal player returns
- Phong Phú Hà Nam draw with Thái Nguyên T&T in national women’s football champs
- Futsal Vietnam to vie for World Cup berth
- Hà Nội shuts down Sài Gòn FC, keeps hope alive for championship title
- Hà Nội FC win to keep pressure on Viettel
- HCM City FC to meet Hà Nội FC in National Cup semi-finals
- Viettel crush Bình Dương to enter National Cup’s semi-finals