Not that anyone thought it would suddenly take place but the Vietnam GP promoters have confirmed the official cancellation of this year’s Hanoi race, the Inside Out citing a report from Planet F1.
Formula 1 was scheduled to host its inaugural grand prix around the streets of Hanoi back in April.
The race, though, was postponed when the Covid-19 pandemic swept the globe.
Formula 1 went on to announce a revised calendar starting in July with the Austrian Grand Prix and concluding in December in Abu Dhabi. Vietnam wasn’t handed a slot on that calendar.
Despite the organizers still held out hope but on Friday conceded that it was game over for this year.
The Vietnam Grand Prix Corporation released a statement saying: “After numerous discussions among the Federation Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA), Formula One World Championship Ltd, the Hanoi People’s Committee, and the Vietnamese Motorsports Association (VMA), the Vietnam Grand Prix Corporation (VGPC) regrets to announce that the 2020 Formula 1 Vietnamese Grand Prix will be cancelled. This follows the initial postponement of the event in March this year.
“This has been an extremely difficult but necessary decision to reach in view of the continued uncertainty caused by the global coronavirus pandemic.”
Le Ngoc Chi, CEO of the Vietnam Grand Prix Corporation, commented on the news: “We are unable to welcome the most exciting and prestigious motorsport series on the planet to Vietnam in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
“This was a very difficult decision for all of us to make but ultimately it was the only solution after carefully reviewing all safety criteria as well as the efficiency under current conditions.
“We thank you for your support and understanding during this uncertain period.”
The Vietnam Grand Prix Corporation will provide full refunds for all tickets purchased for the 2020 race, according to the the Inside Out.
Vietnam has recorded more than 1110 coronavirus infections, with 35 deaths, according to the country’s health ministry data.
- Formula One grand prix officially cancelled in Vietnam
- Vietnam cancels 2020 F1 race due to COVID-19 pandemic
- Vietnam dropped from the provisional calendar for the 2021 Formula 1 season
- F1 set for a series of firsts with revised race calendar
- Vietnam cancels F1 race because of Covid-19 pandemic
- When is next F1 Grand Prix going to be held?
- Formula 1 Confident Of Hosting Vietnam Grand Prix In Near Future
- F1 2020 video game to feature Hanoi circuit
- Australia Grand Prix tonigh (July 5): What time does the F1 race start, what TV channel?
- Hanoi circuit added to F1 simulation system