They also looked at documents for the upcoming 17th ASEAN Chiefs of Defence Forces’ Meeting (ACDFM-17).
AMOM-10 was chaired by Lt. Gen. Thai Dai Ngoc, head of the Operations Department under the General Staff of the Vietnam People’s Army.
AMOM-10 was chaired by Lt. Gen. Thai Dai Ngoc, head of the Operations Department under the General Staff of the Vietnam People’s Army. (Photo: VNA)
In his remarks, Ngoc said that with the theme “Military cooperation for a cohesive and responsive ASEAN” selected for AMOM-10 Vietnam hopes that defence and military collaboration will continue to be a key factor in regional peace, security, and stability.
He also emphasised the significance of intensifying trust building through international law and regional commitments, joint activities, exchanges, and dialogues, especially between field operations forces.
Delegates pointed to diverse, complex non-traditional security challenges like terrorism, piracy, cyber security, climate change, and natural disasters.
Notably, the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted field military cooperation activities between armies of ASEAN countries, they said, commending the role played by forces in the fight against the pandemic.
They also lauded Vietnam as the ASEAN Chair 2020 amid the pandemic, saying the country has successfully organised many defence-military meetings and promptly raised proposals and implemented initiatives in the pandemic fight and defence-military collaboration.
Operations departments will increase discussions on regional security issues of shared concern, while working to enhance their mutual understanding and trust, they agreed.
Delegates reached consensus on the action plan for 2020-2022 to be submitted to ACDFM-17 for approval.
Ngoc transferred the AMOM Chairmanship to Brunei at the meeting./.
CPV (Source: VNA)
- ASEAN’S defence-security collaboration to be prioritised
- Defence cooperation key to addressing regional security issues: Official
- Official: Defence cooperation key to addressing regional security issues
- Vietnam places high priority on defence and security co-operation
- ASEAN peacekeeping centres look to boost ties in COVID 19 response
- ASEAN Defence Senior Officials’ Meeting Plus Working Group held video conference
- Vietnam enhances defence links with RoK and India
- General Staff of the Vietnam People’s Army promotes military scientific application
- General Staff of the Vietnam People’s Army promote military scientific application to heighten t